Export metadata to HTML

07-26-2011 12:11 PM
Labels (1)
KristenWobbe
Occasional Contributor II
I would like to see the ability to EXPORT FGDC metadata to HTML format available in ArcGIS 10.  ArcGIS 9.3.1 contained the ability to do that through an option on the EXPORT button, listing out choices that included HTML, or XML options for export formats.  This was one final step in our workflow for sharing user-friendly/readable digital metadata with staff and users.

Thanks for taking this under consideration, and for giving us a forum to submit ideas and feedback on your software for future enhancements and efficiency improvements.
6 Comments
MarkNebel
I agree, this was a very useful option. It allows users to quickly browse metadata and determine if the data will meet their needs, without needing to open ArcGIS.
LisaBenvenuti
Unless I've missunderstood your problem, you can do this. I can't get some of the buttons to work properly, but if you go to the ArcToolbox > Conversion Tools > Metadata > USGS MP Metadata Translator you can export as HTML and text. (you cannot import either in any tool I've found yet). The conversion type has to be set to your choice (the default is xml) and you have to put the output file in a folder not in a geodatabase.
BibiOung1
I totally agree. The ability to export metadata to HTML format as existed in AG 9.3 should be incorporated in  the new versions.   9.3 Metadata Export function exported metadata to HTML in a well formatted way that made it legible, including thumbnail, etc.  USGS MP Metadata Translator does NOT format the HTML nicely, and throw a lot of attribute conversion errors. This function is used weekly to export updated Metadata to the general public that looked presentable.

Please include it or improve the USGS MP Metadata Translator where the HTML export is formatted as presentable as when one used the Export tool from the Metadata Toolbar in 9.3.

Thanks for your consideration.
GeraldDaumiller1
The great thing about the HTML export at 9.3 was that you could put any xsl stylesheet in your Windows profile and select it for displaying your metadata in ArcCatalog.  The HTML export tool used the currently selected stylesheet.  Anyone with a little knowledge of xslt had total control over the presentation and export format of their metadata.  Now we can only do it ESRI's way.
roemhildtg
This would be especially useful if you could export it as html to a rest services page of ArcGIS Server.
NaicongLi
Status changed to: Already Offered

The capability for the main idea here is already offered in ArcGIS Pro via the Save As HTML command on the ribbon, Catalog tab, Metadata group:

NaicongLi_0-1677517108913.png

Whatever stylesheet is used to display metadata at the time will be used to generate the exported HTML file.

@GeraldDaumiller1 -  the metadata display in Pro can be customized by creating a custom metadata style using the ArcGIS Pro Metadata Toolkit: https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-pro-metadata-toolkit.

@roemhildtg - could you  please enter your comment as a separate idea, not in this idea exchange, but in the ArcGIS Enterprise idea exchange here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-enterprise-ideas/idb-p/arcgis-enterprise-ideas?  Thank you!