Draw Polylines Straight

10-26-2012 06:42 AM
FrankPanaro1
New Contributor II
It would be nice if there was a way to draw perfectly straight lines not along cardinal compass directions as is the only way available now. Something like holding down a key while drawing a line to keep the line perfectly straight without "jags". This function is available in many graphics programs and I believe it used to be a function ArcView 3.x?
3 Comments
CattyannCampbell
+10
RobertKlein3
This can already be accomplished when sketching in an edit session by pressing Ctrl + A.  A box pops up where you can enter an arbitrary bearing -just be sure you have already set your units as desired from the Editing Options dialog box, accessible from the Editor toolbar.  Alternatively you can have your sketch go parallel or perpendicular to the path of existing line and polygon features.
Corbinde_Bruin
"This can already be accomplished when sketching in an edit session by pressing Ctrl + A."
- rdklein

The problem I have found with this method is that it draws a bearing realtive to the rotation of the data frame. If I want to easily just draw a straight line at 90 or 180 degrees, I don't want to have to factor in the current roation of the data frame.