Don't Initialize Tool when selection changes

08-17-2022 04:56 PM
Labels (1)
Dwarburg
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro can sometimes take severl minutes to Initialize open editing tools such as Move or Edit Vertices when changes are made to the selection. The 'Initializing Tool' step can sometimes take several minutes after small changes are made to the selection when working with feature services. I recommend that ESRI take a look at this performance issue in future versions of ArcGIS Pro and possibly consider not initializing the tool until a specific command such as 'Remove Vertex' or 'Add Vertex' is selected. This will remove redundant initializations each time a selection changes with the tool ribbon open. The performance increases dramatically when the tool ribbon is closed, but it would allow users to be much more efficient if selection could be changed efficiently while continuing to use the same tool.

Tags (2)
5 Comments
Dwarburg

ArcGIS Pro can sometimes take several minutes to Initialize open editing tools such as Move or Edit Vertices when changes are made to the selection. The 'Initializing Tool' step can sometimes take several minutes after small changes are made to the selection when working with feature services. I recommend that ESRI take a look at this performance issue in future versions of ArcGIS Pro and possibly consider not initializing the tool until a specific command such as 'Remove Vertex' or 'Add Vertex' is selected. This will remove redundant initializations each time a selection changes with the tool ribbon open. The performance increases dramatically when the tool ribbon is closed, but it would allow users to be much more efficient if selection could be changed efficiently while continuing to use the same tool.

Scott_Harris

Thanks for the feedback, @Dwarburg.

What version of ArcGIS Pro are you using?

What kind of data are you working with, ex. Utility Network, Parcel Fabric?

DenverBilling

I have a similar issue while working with very large polygons on a local version of the Parcel Fabric. If I'm editing vertices or moving a polygon, it will take several minutes to initialize and several minutes to calculate when I'm done editing. 

Scott_Harris

@DenverBilling Have you reached out to Esri Technical Support? They can help investigate performance issues and log a bug, if needed.

Dwarburg

We are working with Utility Network data in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.3 but I have also  tested in 3.0 and have seen the same issue.