Domain of a Field Auto Populating in Metadata

05-02-2013 06:42 AM
MahindaAbeykoon1
New Contributor II
Even in  ArcGIS 10.1 version, I don't see the ability to populate the database domain's codes and descriptions of a feature class's field  meta data automatically. It is possible to edit metadata and add domain code and description one by one. Instead manually doing, is there a way to get/import/populate domain code and description automatically into metadata of the feature class? I did not find any auto population possibility unless export domains in to a table and edit an exported xml file and importing it back.
I wish if there is a way to get domains auto populated as it is a heavy time consuming task to do manually, if there are many feature classes and many domains to maintain good metadata.
Hope ESRI experts will address this in future. Thank You.
2 Comments
WarrenRoe1
This would save a ton of time! When manually adding domain values/descriptions, the metadata editor bogs down to the point that it takes 30sec to a minute to, for example, add new enumerated domain fields in the metadata.
MichelleTotman

As Collector for ArcGIS is becoming more popular with my organization, attribute domain lists are becoming more popular and longer. We are also finding ourselves updating our attribute domains more frequently. If ESRI could make the metadata information formulate from and update with attribute domains, it would be much easier to convince my co-workers that completing their metadata is worth their time.