Display Route Measure Anomalies in ArcGIS Pro

10-10-2018 10:09 AM
Labels (1)

Arcmap has layer properties specific to Route Feature classes (with measures) allowing the layer to support hatching symbology and labeling, as well as ability to show where measures do not increase as described here:

Displaying route measure anomalies—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

The idea is to incorporate the same functionality into ArcGIS Pro.

6 Comments
KoryKramer

Thanks for submitting this Kyle Gonterwitz‌.  There are a couple of other ideas related to bringing linear referencing functionality into ArcGIS Pro.

Port "Identify Route Locations" and "Set From/To" Linear Referencing Tools from ArcGIS 10.x to ArcGI...

Find - Linear Referencing Tool for ArcGIS Pro

Could you please consider changing this idea's title to "Display Route Measure Anomalies in ArcGIS Pro" ?

This discussion will probably also provide some good context: Is there an 'Identify Route' tool? 

As for hatching, that is currently available in ArcGIS Pro, but done in a way that allows it to work and perform well as a part of services: Draw measured hatches along lines—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Cheers

KyleGonterwitz

good description of the idea, I changed it.  Great info on the hatching capability, I will look at that, thanks.

KyleGonterwitz

upon first review of the process to draw measured hatches along lines, that works really well and has a lot of options, it's just buried in there with the many symbol options of pro.  That link was helpful but it could use more screenshots, the terminology used in that link to achieve this is so specific to pro (but was very well worded and I could easily figure it out).  Also, what can be done to keep the hatched labels from drawing upside down?  I set my text angle at 270 to get my hatch labels right-side up.

KyleGonterwitz

Pro team may be going in the direction of burial more of the measure stuff into symbology rather than a layer property...  Given the intelligent menu system of pro, I think that a good approach option to pro incorporation may be an intelligent menu that activates when the layer is activated and the layer is recognized as having m values.  From that menu linear reference tool options could be chosen. 

rappr
by

I am surprised to find that this idea hasn't gained any traction. The ability to display route measure anomalies using ArcMap is such an essential user interface (UI) feature that I find myself in disbelief that it remains unavailable in ArcGIS Pro five years after the idea was submitted here.

For any route that is not strictly increasing, ArcMap can show you the exact location where the fix needs to be made, rather than scrolling through thousands of vertices in the edit sketch window to find the problematic locations (like finding needles in a haystack). 

Thank goodness my employer still avails our office with access to ArcMap. Please, Esri, consider this feature within the LRS ribbon of ArcGIS Pro.

ShaunPerfect

Here at ADOT, Display Route Measure Anomalies has been a vital tool when doing cartographic realignments. When vertices are moved in a cartographic realignment sometimes the measures become erroneous (usually becoming non-monotonic) which if left that way would potentially scramble events in the affected location along the route. The visual ‘Display Route Measure Anomalies’ functionality will visually flag bad measure locations in real time as the vertex edits occur. Without this functionality you can create bad measures in a cartographically realigned route and not know it. One of the only ways I can think of to check a cartographically realigned route for bad measures in ArcPro would be to run a ‘Monotonicity’ check after the cartographic realignment is complete. But to have to run this check after every cartographic realignment could be time consuming and more importantly if you find a route that has measure issues after the edit then the edit cannot be saved and would have to be redone again. This could cause significant time costs in processes like ADOT's unification project which incorporates local centerlines into our Statewide LRS.