Display coordinates of feature geometry in identify tool.

04-16-2010 02:27 AM
GopiP
by
New Contributor III

It would be better to get the coordinate information about the feature geometry displayed when identify tool is used.  This can be simple X and Y coordinates for the point feature.  And for all other larger geometries like polyline, polygon etc, an optional show geometrical coordinates button can be used.  The user can have the option of either seeing the geometrical coordinates or not.

17 Comments
SabinaBernhard
I would like this function as well, and also the ability to label X,Y,Z,M values in the map.

Inger_LiseWideroe
I would like to bring this idea back to life. I work in the aviation industry, and 3d data is essential in our GIS-charting. (We use ArcGIS 10.0) When making obstacle charts our analysts need easy access to x,y,z values for features in their charts. 

It would be a great enhancement if they had a geometry info tool that would give easy access to z-values for points, lines and polygons.

When clicking on a line the tool should snap to the nearest vertex and return the z-value. Our worklflow today is to calculate z for points, and go through the sketch tool to access vertexes for lines. Too many steps to get access to z-info. Please consider improving how we as users can access information about z-values.

EvenStangebye
To view the z-values for points, polylines and polygons, I have to start an editing session, click on the desired object, click edit vertices and finally click sketch properties to view the z-values. This is a too rigid way to view (not edit) the z-values. Sometimes I don't even have the edit permissions, or a file is locked, and I can't view these values. This should absolutely be shown in the identify-tool (or i simular geometry identify tool). Today the x/y location is just where you click in the map, and not necessarily the x/y-values of a point or vertex. A geometry identify tool should show the actual x/y/z-values of a point or polyline/polygon vertex.
MadhuriAdapala1
Has there been any update with 10.2 on this addition?
Ørjan_W_Jenssen
I think many users believe that the coordinates given when identifying a point feature is the coordinates of the point feature. This is, after all, the only logical thing to expect. For lines and polygons you don't expect the one given coordinate to represent the feature. The identify tool should therefore be modified to present the location for point features in the coordinates display. I believe this idea would have many more promotions if people knew that the point feature coordinate they get is just close but not exact.
KoryKramer

Have you used the Attributes pane in ArcGIS Pro?

When a point is selected, I can see the point's geometry:

Here's what it looks like for a polygon:

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This is resolved in the ArcGIS Pro Attributes Pane.

It is possible to view line and polygon vertex geometry and it isn't necessary to be in an "edit session".

Geometry_AttributesPane.gif