Disable all default geoprocessing workspaces/names for all projects

03-22-2023 08:42 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

It would be helpful if we could disable all default locations/workspaces/names for all ArcGIS Pro projects and geoprocessing tools as an optional setting.

In other words, I'd prefer it if a file path/folder was never auto-populated for GP tools in ArcGIS Pro. I always want to be forced to browse to a path/folder to ensure that it is correct.

4 Comments
JonathanNeal
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

@Bud Can you give us some guidance on how you want this to be implemented?

1. We thought of the auto generated paths and names as a feature, so it would be good to know why this is not desirable.
  2. If this is something to implement do you want it as a global or a parameter toggle?  (Maybe something else?)
Bud
by

Hi @JonathanNeal,

1. I work almost exclusively in enterprise geodatabases: multiple prod and non-prod dbs. I don't work with local GDBs much or use the default project FGDB.
    So when I'm using geoprocessing tools, I don't want the paths/names autogenerated, because chances are, it's not going to point to the right place (I often output data from one EGDB to a different EGDB; ArcGIS Pro would have no way of knowing where I want to the data to be saved). And it won't use the correct dataset name because the GP tool is altering the data, meaning the data is now different, so a different name than the source name is required. Yes, ArcGIS Pro's default names (that have the GP tool name) can be handy, but I typically end up modifying the default name anyway. I usually go out of my way to make the name shorter by avoiding any info that isn't absolutely needed.
    I want to avoid accidently outputting data to the wrong EGDB location or using the wrong name. So I'd rather just be forced to always fill in that info myself.
  2. Yes, I think a global parameter would be good.

Thanks for asking.

JonathanNeal
Status changed to: Open

Thanks @Bud 
Will wait for a couple Kudos and add this as a Geoprocessing Option to not generate output paths and names.

MathewBlanc

Hi,

I agree with this, although for a different reason. The autogenerated names are almost never what I would call the output, so every single time I need to first delete the name, then type my own. This adds a huge amount of friction to what should be a simple process. (Add to that the name field going from showing the name to showing the whole file path on selection, another UX issue).

I'm less interested in having to pick the file location each time though, so two separate options would be better. One to stop autogeneration of names, and one to force location selection.

Thanks.