Data driven pages (ArcGIS Pro Map Series) should have more export file type options

07-22-2010 11:28 AM
Labels (1)
JeffWielki1
Occasional Contributor

PDF is super useful, but sometimes exporting a map book series to JPG, TIFF, or perhaps other options may be useful for users.

This was available in DS map books, please bring this functionality back sp users don't need to add the step of exporting from the PDF file.

25 Comments
JACKSJOSTROM

It would be helpful to export to geoTiff or to Raster Catalog in a geodatabase as .tif format rather than having to export to geoPdf, then requiring the use of PDF to TIFF conversion option, then to raster catalog. Why only a PDF format when we work with file geodatabases and SDE in ArcGIS?

AndreasLorentzen

This is quite necessary for many in my firm. We are for the most part creating long reports where we need standardized maps of each feature or area. This could be 2 to several hundred features, where all should be imported into word as .png or .jpg.  Also, most of our users have almost never seen a python (snake or script) and it is therefore not a viable solution for them to start scripting.

It would be a real timesaver for many of us.

However. I might create my own export tool, but this seams a bit unnecessary as this feature was implemented in ArcMap.

PS: loves the new bookmark map series.

MiguelMartinezYordan

It will be great to be able to export multiple image areas in the Content view to a GeoTiff in a batch process using either the projects bookmarks or the polygons from a Grid Index Feature or a Strip Map Index Feature.

JakeSkinner

@MiguelMartinezYordan  here is some code you can use to do this.  The Pro project will require a single map and a single layout added.  You can then update the # Variables section:

import arcpy, os, sys

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = 1

# Variables
geoTIFFDirectory = r"C:\GeoTIFFs"
gridIndex = r"C:\Data.gdb\GridIndex"
dpi = 300
proProject = r"C:\Projects\Export.aprx"

# Get count of gridIndex
totalNets = arcpy.GetCount_management(gridIndex)
count = int(totalNets.getOutput(0))

# Reference Pro Project and layout
p = arcpy.mp.ArcGISProject(proProject)
l = p.listLayouts()[0]
mf = l.listElements("mapframe_element")[0]

# Export GeoTIFFs
for feat in range(1, count + 1):
    with arcpy.da.SearchCursor(gridIndex, ["SHAPE@"], f"OID = {feat}") as cursor:
         for row in cursor:
             extent = row[0].extent
             geoTIFF = os.path.join(geoTIFFDirectory, f"PageID_{feat}.tif")
             mf.camera.setExtent(extent)
             cam = mf.camera
             arcpy.AddMessage(f"Exporting {geoTIFF}")
             mf.exportToTIFF(geoTIFF, resolution=int(dpi), world_file=True, geoTIFF_tags=True)
    del cursor

# Delete reference to Project
del p

geoTIFFDirectory = directory to store GeoTIFFs

gridIndex = path to grid index feature class

dpi = dpi of GeoTIFFs

proProject = path to APRX file

AlBost
by

We would also like to see various export types (JPG, PNG, etc.) when working with Map Series.

GregoireS

Still waiting for an improvement ! Kind of basic

DavidSchmidt1

Currently one can only export a map series to PDF but not to PNG, JPEG, etc. This has resulted in either needing to export each individual page in the series manually or use of third party software to convert from PDF to PNG once exported. The functionality to do this out of the box, thus negating tedious/extra work would be excellent

MichelleWilliamsERM

I love this idea! Yes, please make it easy for everyone.

DeanHowellTMR

At present it appears you can only output a map series as PDF, but it would be great to be able to do the same for any image format as well.

I have the need to be able to create the map series but insert the map image in to another document, so presently I have to extract the map series image from the PDF in FME and then insert the extracted image.

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Under Consideration