Create Annotation within Index Polygon

11-10-2020 10:31 AM
Labels (1)
DenverBilling
New Contributor III

I often need to create annotation in irregular areas, and creating annotation within the visible extent creates far too many labels that must be manually removed. 

If it is possible to create a polygon linked creation area, much like a rubbersheet area, it would be very convenient! 

I would be interested in being able to do this programmatically via Python, although I think drawing a polygon would be easier.

5 Comments
KoryKramer

Hi @DenverBilling 

Thank you for submitting this idea.  The Convert Labels to Annotation tool respects map clipping.  Knowing that, does it work for you to clip the map to the irregular area in which you'd like to create the annotation?

CreateAnno_ClippedMap.gif

DenverBilling

Interesting @KoryKramer , this appears to do exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the demo!

DenverBilling

I'd like to reinvigorate this idea.

After repeated testing of clipping the map extent, I still have labels being created outside the clipped area. This may be because I have elected 'Do Not Remove' in the label properties. 

As you can see, I will have to delete hundreds of labels to produce this map. I'm open to other suggestions or tricks at this point.

2021-04-23 09_47_04-.png

WendyHarrison
Status changed to: Already Offered

@DenverBilling 

The Tiled Labels To Annotation tool will accomplish what you're looking to do.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/cartography/tiled-labels-to-annotation.htm

Let me know if you have any issues with it.

-Wendy

DenverBilling

@WendyHarrison 

This is the tool I was looking for, so far so good!

Thank you,

Denver