Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy list of datasets from Catalog View to Excel

03-27-2023 01:52 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

In the Catalog View, I can see a list of the datasets that are in my enterprise geodatabase connection:

Bud_0-1679950140267.png

It would be helpful if I could copy the Catalog information of the selected datasets to the clipboard and paste into Excel. Currently, that doesn't work, likely because copying is meant to copy the actual dataset, not the Catalog info.

Could that functionality be added?

Tags (2)
3 Comments
KoryKramer

If this is to document the database/design, the upcoming schema report functionality coming through https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/x-ray-for-arcgis-pro/idi-p/968285 may help.

NaicongLi

Hi @Bud ,

Could you please clarify what catalog information on the selected items you are trying to copy into an Excel file, and what are your purpose and workflow which needs this functionality? 

By the way, currently the Copy Path command does operate on multiple selected items, so you can copy the paths of these selected items in the Catalog view or Catalog pane, and paste the paths into a spreadsheet:

NaicongLi_0-1686700180248.png

NaicongLi_1-1686703749336.png

Bud
by

Could you please clarify what catalog information on the selected items you are trying to copy into an Excel file

A list of object names. And also, ideally, the item type too.

what are your purpose and workflow which needs this functionality? 

Creating documentation about certain objects in a written Word document or Excel document. Metadata doesn't apply to this scenario.

By the way, currently the Copy Path command does operate on multiple selected items, so you can copy the paths of these selected items in the Catalog view or Catalog pane, and paste the paths into a spreadsheet

How does that work for enterprise geodatabase data? What does the "path" look like? I'm unable to test because the Copy Path functionality doesn't seem to exist in my version of Pro: 2.6.8.

When pasting paths into Excel, is the expectation that the user would use Find & Replace or Text to Columns to remove the path (other than the name) to get the item name only?