Copy Coordinates and Goto XY Suggestion

01-18-2023 06:47 AM
Labels (1)
PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

I am suggesting the Goto XY (esri_mapping_gotoXYControl) to allow a single entry of both the Lat/Long rather than forced to using it as it currently is as two separate boxes.  

I find it frustrating when using the Copy Location (esri_mapping_copyCoordinates) from one map and want to find that location on another, I have to paste the full Lat/Long in the Long box, then cut out the Lat and re-paste that in the Lat box.

It would be easier to have the option to paste the entire coordintate into the a Lat/Long box option (similar as to how Google allows pasting of both and it will jump to the location) as well as have it separated as it currently has to deal with both types of coordinates to paste in.

It would also be helpful to allow the Long box and Lat box to also be expanded to paste in longer coordinates as well.

2 Comments
wayfaringrob

Yes, Google Maps is a good benchmark for how coordinate searches should be treated. It's always so nice; no matter if you've got decimal degrees or DMS, cardinal directions or +/-, etc - it handles it and it works.

alex_friant

Great idea. Seems like an easy change to add the option be it an extra single entry field or even a toggle option.

While I think it would be cool to have the default interpreter to be "smart" - aka: it attempts to parse the coords using some intelligent analysis, like Google does, I think it would be a bonus to have a "custom configuration" option that allows you to explicitly tell it how to interpret the coords you are entering in case the smart entry doesn't work.