Configure new file types (e.g. PDF) for Catalog window through ArcMap

09-10-2010 03:33 PM
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III

With the advent of the Search and Catalog windows in ArcGIS Desktop, I would like to no longer have the ArcCatalog take up any screen real estate.  Something that I think I still need ArcCatalog for is to be able to configure new file types, such as PDF, so that they can be displayed and opened in the Catalog window.

The technique for this is described at http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001000000007000000.htm (for universal world files but applies equally to PDF).

Rather than have to open ArcCatalog to do the above, then close and re-open ArcMap to have the new settings read, I think it would be MUCH nicer to simply open Customize | ArcMap Options and see a Catalog tab with the functions from the File Types tab of ArcCatalog Options.

1 Comment
GraemeBrowning

I'm curious why anyone would demote this idea.  For me, the idea of no longer having to exit ArcMap, start ArcCatalog, change an ArcCatalog Option, exit ArcCatalog and then restart ArcMap to make a new file type available to the Catalog window seems very appealing.  Am I missing something?

- Graeme