Configure Hide File Extensions for Catalog window through ArcMap

09-11-2010 12:11 AM
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III

With the advent of the Search and Catalog windows in ArcGIS Desktop, I would like to no longer have the ArcCatalog take up any screen real estate.  Something that I think I still need ArcCatalog (or Windows Explorer) for is to be able to Hide/Unhide file extensions when they are listed in the Catalog window.

Rather than have to open ArcCatalog to do the above, then close and re-open ArcMap to have the new settings read, I think it would be MUCH nicer to simply open Customize | ArcMap Options and see a Catalog tab with the functions from the General tab of ArcCatalog Options.

3 Comments
GraemeBrowning

I'm curious why anyone would demote this idea.  For me, the idea of no longer having to exit ArcMap, start ArcCatalog, change an ArcCatalog Option, exit ArcCatalog and then restart ArcMap to hide/unhide file extensions in the Catalog window seems very appealing.  Am I missing something?

- Graeme

AbelPerez
I like it.
GraemeBrowning
This one was implemented by ArcGIS 10.1 - just open the Catalog window and then it Options (rightmost button at top) - you can then hide/show file extensions by simply (un)checking a box.