Clear selected features after definition query

12-19-2019 09:01 AM
Labels (1)
KadeSmith
Occasional Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro, if I have features selected and then set a definition query that hides those selected features they are still displayed. It would be nice if those selected features that are no longer visible after a definition query is applied, were cleared from the selection or if I was prompted to clear those. I've witnessed several students try to run Geoprocessing Tools after setting a definition query and have the tool say there was an error because the tool could not be run against any data. They were very confused because they could see the data on the screen, but didn't notice the "Selected Features: 1" message. 

5 Comments
MichelleWilliamsERM

I need your help! Last week I calculated +1000 records because ArcGIS Pro didn't release my previous selected data set. (I'm field calculating a hosted service)

• When I Join my hosted service to a Table
  • Def Query
  • Calculate fields
  • do another Def Query
  • Field Calculate

I override the text from my previously selected fields. (ALL +1000 records)

I'm asking the Esri automatically cleared previous selection when the user creates/applies a new definition query OR clicked the selected icon at the bottom of the attribute table.

The work around is the highlight the fields but it's not a good workflow.

I called tech support and the lady told me I needed to get your support, to get this fixed, but she also put in an enhancement from her side.

#ENH-000143549 [Enhancement] Provide the ability for attribute table selections to be automatically cleared when the user creates/applies a new definition query.

KoryKramer

@MichelleWilliamsERM if the workflow is to use a query to determine which features to calculate, could you just use Select by Attributes to make the selection, then Calculate Field, then Select by Attributes, Calculate Field, etc.?

MichelleWilliamsERM

@korice This could be another work around, BUT shouldn't it work my way too. 

I haven't tried your suggestion, but the next time I'm using this workflow I will. : )

KoryKramer
Status changed to: In Product Plan

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

This functionality has been added in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.0  to see this and all of the other ideas you can look forward to when you upgrade.

Also be sure to check out the What's New documentation: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/whats-new-in-arcgis-pro.htm