Select to view content in your preferred language

Choose FC output name when importing from XML workspace document

11-06-2023 12:28 PM
Labels (1)
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.6.8; Oracle 18c; 10.7.1 EGDB:

I have an XML file that was created using the Export XML Workspace Document GP tool (from within a model).

When I import the XML file into my enterprise geodatabase using the Import XML Workspace Document GP tool, I'm unable to choose the output feature class name; there isn't a parameter for that.

Bud_0-1699302001997.png

Instead, the FC name from the XML file is used. In this case, it's a name that was automatically created in my model: "INFRASTR.INFRASTRUCTURERECORD_Select".

Bud_1-1699302207432.png

Those hardcoded/auto-generated names can get messy. I had to go looking in Catalog (hundreds of items) for the FC -- since I didn't know what the output FC would be called.

(My use case was testing a data issue when working with Esri Support: Esri Case #03477586 - Are these features valid? Features have SHAPE but geometry is null.)

It would be helpful if we could define the FC name when importing from XML. I'm aware that I could edit the hardcoded name in the model or in the .XML file. But I'd rather do that on the fly in the GP tool parameters. For example, I wanted to name each imported FC according to the particular testing case I was working on. I wanted to put details in the name like "normalized XML" vs. "binary XML", the date, my initials, etc. 

Thanks.

5 Comments
SSWoodward
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

Thanks for the Idea @Bud 

If I understand the Idea correctly, I think it can be combined with the Idea linked below, which is currently in the product plan.  

Can you take a look and confirm, if so, I'll merge the Ideas. 

Import XML Schema Preview

Bud
by

@SSWoodward It looks generally the same, except I want to have the option to define the output FC name, even when there isn't a duplicate.

SSWoodward

@Bud 

Thanks!  So your Idea would be an addition to the linked Idea.  Something like:

"Allow access to the Import XML schema preview pane on all imports, not just when a name conflict is detected."

Bud
by

@SSWoodward Yes, that sounds right.

SSWoodward
Status changed to: Open