Bar Graph Charts based on Symbology Classes

01-17-2023 12:12 PM
Labels (1)
RenePretorius
New Contributor III

I love that there are more and more option for charting and tables in the layout. 

It would be incredibly helpful if the bar graph chart that can be created on a dataset can be based on the current symbology classes. It is very helpful that the bar graph can color the bars based on the symbology set up on the layer.

My aim is to have a map frame with the data layer symbolized (graduated colors with a number of classes) on an attribute, and then include a bar graph chart with the category (or x-axis in my case) be the same as the classes and colors specified in the data layer symbology.

Currently to utilize the bar graph, as well as its ability to be the same color as the symbology, I have to create a new text attribute and manually assign the classes to the features and then create the graph based on that attribute. It is rather time consuming, and does not allow for easy updating or changes.  

3 Comments
ChristopherAllen

Hi @RenePretorius 

In the 3.1 release of Pro, it will be possible to configure bar charts using Arcade expressions. This should allow you to create a bar chart that displays graduated color symbology classes without needing to update the attribute table with a new field:

ChristopherAllen_1-1674514263339.png

However, as you can see in the screenshot, this solution will not allow you to match colors. We will consider a more convenient method for visualizing symbology classes (including color matching) with a bar chart.

Thanks,

Chris

RenePretorius

@ChristopherAllen 

Thank you for letting me know this is coming. Will have a look at it in V3.1.

I am very excited to see what improvements come to the bar chart as this graph can be immensely helpful. 

I think for the time being I would have to rely on updating the attribute value, as the color matching is quite important. Also, one of my use cases is to use the bar graph with a map series and in that case the classes displayed in the chart will be different for each page. 

ChristopherAllen
Status changed to: In Product Plan