Backspace button used to delete point when point added in wrong place in editing mode

09-03-2010 09:37 AM
DanielGuiver
New Contributor II

Idea is to use the backspace button to delete a point during edit mode when creating a polyline, point or polygon. For example when you are digitizing a lake and you accidentaly place a point that is not on the line, by pressing the backspace button that point is deleted and you can continue with your next point. Currently you have to right click on top of the point and hit delete vertex. This is time consuming and often when you are rushing it takes a few clicks to for ArcGIS to find the point.

On a side note is there anyway to increase the search radius in edit mode when trying to click on a point? The software doesn't leave much of a clickable area surrounding points. I don't know why I haven't asked this sooner.

2 Comments
DavidKnudsen
I agree that this would be a useful keyboard shortcut to add, but I especially think the side note is worth expanding on. In general I find when working with the edit sketch that I am continually just missing the vertexes when I want to move them or delete them, and the line when I want to add vertexes. This results in inadvertently completing the edit sketch before I am ready, or getting the wrong context menu, and introduces a whole bunch of extra steps.
MikeLouwrens2
you can press ctrl+z (or click Undo) to remove the last vertex/point