Auto Text Tool/Click-to-Label: specify the layer and label class

04-28-2022 12:16 PM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I am absolutely loving the auto text feature. Super convenient for getting the labels to go the way you want them to go quickly.

What I've noticed is that it tends to pick which layer and label class to use on its own (appearance, position, and expression), and I haven't found a way to specify which one I want. Even if I turn off all but one layer, I can tell it to ignore the appearance and position settings, but it still then places a plain, straight label of only one of my classes in that layer with no option to specify.

A highway, for example, may have a name and a signed number, and sometimes both are used on maps. I can get it to label it with the street name, but not the shield. It seems the designers of this tool intended it for maps with only one layer and one label class. Some sort of selector for those features that fall under multiple label classes would be great, as would be a way to specify the layer.

rburkebsrc_0-1651173223681.png

As an example, this is how the labeling rules place them - just fine. When I go the auto text route, I can only get Kimberly.