ArcPad Data Manager for ArcGIS Pro

06-26-2019 01:21 AM
WillyLynch2
New Contributor III

The product life cycle for ArcGIS ArcPad 10.2.5 shows retirement December 31, 2020.  Hopefully a further version is in plan. https://support.esri.com/en/products/apps/mobile-apps/arcpad 

We use ArcPad with the ArcGIS Desktop ArcMap "ArcPad Data Manager".  It would be great to have a similar tool in the ArcGIS Desktop ArcGIS Pro world. 

5 Comments
DhanPrabhu

It would be good to replicate the ArcPad Data Manager tool in ArcGIS Pro same as ArcGIS Desktop.

This will enable our users to connect GPS to ArcGIS Pro and continue using ArcGIS Pro.

JosephMcGehan

ArcPad is essential for our solution. Our folks in the fully disconnected out back of Australia need self determination to create feature class, and even swap data between users (including taking shapefiles off their handsets and giving it to helicopter teams).  There's resistance to go to ArcGIS Pro (which we have purchased)  because it does not have ArcPad support. ArcGIS Collector is a great app, but for our GIS professionals it's limited.  

by Anonymous User

To my knowledge, there are not plans to extend support for ArcPad or add an ArcPad Data Manager for Pro.  I will look into this further though and update this if I find out more.

Joseph McGehan‌, one workflow is to add a "Map Notes" layers to your Collector maps for miscellaneous collections.  You could have a layer for points, lines, and polygons and have a generic field for data entry.

Dhan Prabhu‌, Support for GPS in ArcGIS Pro is on the roadmap and is listed in the mid-term section, so you can expect this in the next 2-3 releases.

WillyLynch2

With the release of ArcGIS Maps SDK for .NET (formerly ArcGIS Runtime SDK)  v200 and beyond, we have heard that ArcGIS Field Maps will be rebuilt and much more capable.  We have heard the next release of Field Maps with the new SDK might be before UC 2023.  Sounds good and look forward to the update. 

The new functionality in the SDK includes the ability to edit Geopackage feature data but this is not yet planned for Field Maps.  With editing capabilities, "ArcPad Data Manager"-like workflows should be possible between ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Field Maps.  This would be a fantastic solution using Mobile Map Packages (MMPK) generated from ArcGIS Pro and shared directly with the mobile app.   If this further included links back to the source online feature services, even better.   

IndigoFluff

I support this idea. We need a way to bypass the need for online download, syncing and VPN connection, as many remote areas don't have mobile or internet. We need to give our remote field teams the ability to share and transfer the maps completely offline, using an old fashioned cable connection, but still allow field teams to collect data in our nicely curated feature services with domain lists. ArcPad was reliable. The new Mobile Map Packages MMPKs generated from ArcGIS Pro are a good step but we need the ability to edit the features in these.