arcgisscripting and arcpy object model diagrams

08-17-2010 09:00 AM
Labels (1)
NathanWarmerdam
New Contributor III

For python scripters, the most useful piece of documentation at 9.x was the Geoprocessing Programming Model (seen here: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/pdf/Geoprocessor_93.pdf).  This is extraordinarily useful because it presents the whole of arcgisscripting concisely on a single page.

In the documentation for 10.0, this item cannot be found for arcgisscripting or arcpy.  Can you please add this?

68 Comments
DavidJacques2
This is a no-brainer
Ryan_Galbraith
An unofficial arcPy OMD has just been posted on the ArcGIS Forums.  Just for a nice poster to hang on your wall.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/50806-ArcPy-Geoprocessor-OMD-v10-Unofficial
AdolfoDiaz
This is a must for any arcpy scripting geek.
LayneSeely
I must agree with nbw.   I too found the Python GPM to be an essential part of my programming toolkit and would urge ESRI to continue providing this valuable tool in current ArcGIS versions
DrewDowling

Was this ever implemented? The ArcObjects omds   were super helpful and I've never seen an arcpy equivalent.

FatihDur1

@DrewDowling , after 10 years, we are here on this page again.
Not the answer but this might be of help (.NET)
- ArcObjects Help for .NET developers (ArcObjects .NET 10.8 SDK) (arcgis.com)

HannesZiegler
Status changed to: Closed

To all concerned,

Thank you all for your feedback regarding the Object Model Diagram (OMD) for ArcPy. We've had another look at this idea, and the explanation provided by @ChrisFox remains accurate. The explanation is summarized below:

• Traditionally Python's own modules and other 3rd party site-packages do not carry OMDs.
  • When the OMD was provided, conditions differed from now, which led to us producing the OMD, these conditions were:
    • The OMD was provided with arcgisscripting to help customers comfortable with ArcObjects and its OMD make the transition to Python.
    • With arcgisscripting, there was limited intellisence support and doc strings, so the OMD was provided to help navigate the package.
    • At ArcGIS 10, ArcPy was more than just a name change; it was a change in the way we organized and presented our Python implementation to be more in line with a true Python site-package.
  • Since then, the help documentation for Python has been greatly improved:
    • The documentation structure follows the structure of ArcPy with a list of functions and classes and embedded links to related topics.
    • Fully fledged intellisense support and doc strings.

In addition, maintaining an OMD is very time consuming, so we have to weigh the benefit of reviving the OMD vs. other impactful work. After weighing these concerns, we concluded it will be more beneficial to spend this time on fixing bugs, developing features, and making sure the documentation continues to provide thorough and accurate information.

Thank you for your understanding,

- The Python team at esri