ArcGIS Pro Select by Attribute show ALL values

11-27-2019 11:19 AM
Labels (1)
HeatherScroggins
Occasional Contributor II

I've recently been using Pro more and more just to get comfortable with. And there is a major quirk that I just discovered.

In ArcMap, when you Select by Attribute and get unique values it will show you ALL values in that field. Even ones that aren't in the domain. This is highly handy as it's a quick way to see if there is incorrect data. In the image below, you can see that ArcMap shows two values ('ABS' and 'ASM') that are in the data but not in the domain.

By comparison, Pro only shows you values that are in the domain.When looking at the list I would have no idea that those two values are in my data. And yes, I can build the SQL expression manually if I know the values are there, but what if I don't?

Having the Select by Attribute list ALL values not matter if they were in the domain or not was VERY helpful and I wish that Pro would follow ArcMap's example. 

43 Comments
KoryKramer

@Matt-Huser 

This idea is Under Consideration but I wanted to share a workflow that can help you today.

See Find and correct nonvalid values

I made a quick demo here: https://www.screencast.com/t/iHf0j2BVee

Hopefully this helps!

Matt-Huser

@KoryKramer I really appreciate the video tutorial, this is extremely helpful as an alternative workflow while the idea is under consideration.  Thank you!

KoryKramer

Glad it helps!

KarenShaw

The Get Unique Values is very useful ability in Select by Attributes tool. When adding this feature back in, also Please add it as a LIST and Not as a drop down menu. In Pro, having to click on Arrow THEN looking at the list adds complexity.

KarenShaw_0-1638834852986.png   

In Pro

KarenShaw_1-1638834869027.pngKarenShaw_2-1638834880442.png

In Pro, clicking the Arrow then scrolling through a List format feels juggling several balls while standing on narrow ledge. The ArcMap way of showing a LIST right away just feels like throwing one ball up in the air and catching it. Must simpler!

And of course, thank-you Developers for all work you do.  We know you hear when things go wrong (not as much when things go well). I like a lot things about Pro and appreciate all your hard work you put into it.

JamesHood

I'll add +1 for upvote please!

I have Pro 2.9.2 .  A feature class with many subtypes, and each has their own domain. 

When I try to select by attributes OR  set a SQL query for labeling I try to click the dropdown to see what attributes are available but I am only able to see values from a single domain for a single subtype.  

I even try to be smart and use a more complex query:   select where:  subtypeField  = "my subtype"  AND  featuteCode = "myValue" but the dropdown list for my feature codes does not populate beyond what's in the first subtype's domain. 

So essentially I need to keep a list on the side of dissolved attributes for my feature classes with subtypes in order to be able to write sql queries quickly. 

ArcMap had no issue with just showing us all the values and when we want to symboloize the symbology pane does it fine... why not this? 

DanielGluck

I have the same problem as JamesHood 😒. Does anyone find a solution for that? 

EricPescatore

I have been sitting on this for years now and finally got tired of this issue. Thank you for the Select Invalid Objects which is an interesting way to find the data. Unfortunately still takes more steps than I feel should be necessary to quickly query the data.

In my scenario, i had over 1000 invalid records spread across 24 invalid objects (imagine 283 records of ReD) when the domain is RED etc.. I could have done a sum export to get all the values to paste into the SQL query, but again that was a ton of extra steps. 

Given that both ArcGIS Desktop and the WEB Client versions of Map Viewer (Both Classic/New) allow for the function to select query UNIQUE values. 

Is there a way to TRACK this or add this as an ENH request so that I would be notified when its implemented?

KoryKramer

@EricPescatore "Is there a way to TRACK this or add this as an ENH request so that I would be notified when its implemented?" 

Please make sure to add your Kudos to this idea to up the priority. That should automatically subscribe you to notifications which you will get when we update the status. 

EricPescatore

Thanks, i will do that . I also had our account rep attach our ESRI Case to the already existing ENH request.. It appears that now:

Synopsis: Request to add the functionality to show all values, even the ones not part of the domain code in Select by Attribute on a domain field in ArcGIS Pro

God willing it will also extend the functionality to the Definition Query menus.

KarenShaw

There is HUGE value in get unique values showing ALL values in that field (even if not in domain). I work on datasets that are pulled from multiple sources. These sources did NOT have strict domains. Rows in the data could have an extra space or misspelled or typed word.  

Also, in the select by Attribute tool, it needs to have window that shows a list of possible attributes with a scroll bar. The Drop drop menu  in Pro adds complexity that is unneeded.

Having a window list (not drop down) and showing all unique values is very important part of my workflow. I hope this is added to future Pro release soon. While waiting for this, Does anyone know of another simple process for finding these unique values outside of the Select by Attributes tool?