ArcGIS Pro Mosaic Datasets - Implement Page Query

08-13-2020 07:41 AM
Labels (1)
GeneLohrmeyer
New Contributor II

Since raster catalogs are no longer a thing in ArcGIS Pro, and we are being pushed towards using mosaic datasets, one of the useful things about raster catalogs was being able to do page definition queries with data driven pages in ArcMap.  The equivalent in ArcGIS Pro would be doing page queries in map series with Mosaic Datasets. This functionality is not available with Mosaic Datasets. 

Quite often we work on environmental remediation projects where we do several hundred raster interpolations at the same location and then create a mapbook of those rasters.  Easily done in ArcMap using a raster catalog, data driven pages and page definition queries.  To my knowledge, this cannot be done in ArcGIS Pro using mosaic datasets.

10 Comments
SWATConsultingInc

It would be helpful if ArcGIS Pro had the ability to use a Map Series Index on imagery stored in a raster catalog. I have ~100 sites with 4-5 historical air photos each. In ArcGIS Desktop I would've created a data driven pages index layer and set a couple page definition queries based on a common ID field between the layers and the index layer. I believe I could also do this page querying on a combined raster dataset if it was organized in either a Raster Catalog or Mosaic data type. I see some previous posts about Raster Catalog being removed in Pro along with this functionality but it would be helpful if this could be added back in. Thanks!

KoryKramer

Hi @SWATConsultingInc  We merged your idea with this existing one.  Please make sure to add your vote by giving the original a kudo.

Thank you!

AndrewDickinson

Yes, adding the page query functionality to mosaic datasets would be extremely helpful. I'm having to maintain aprx and mdx files for the same project, just to leverage this functionality. I'm also using this to display historical air photos. Thanks!

MatthewPearson1

This functionality is important for a lot our work, from historic maps series to species density plots. Not being able to do this in Pro means we cannot switch over from ArcMap. 

by Anonymous User

Echoing the earlier posts, we use georeferenced engineering plans to perform some utility billing calculations. The ability to leverage a page query would be a huge time saver when we generate billing reports.

KoryKramer

Hi all, thank you for the recent comments. We are currently assessing this request.

I realize that this will not work for users who have overlapping images, but for now in ArcGIS Pro, have you tried creating a spatial map series using the Footprint layer of the mosaic dataset and using the 'Clip to index feature' option under Map Extent?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/layouts/create-a-map-series.htm

This could potentially work for some use cases where the images are not overlapping. For some of the stated use cases on this idea, I understand that you may have many "stacked" images, in which case just clipping to the footprint will not query out the correct image to display, rather will always show the same image. 

I just wanted to share a workflow that might work for some use cases while we investigate what it will take to implement this idea.  

Gazzstaker80

Hi @KoryKramer 

Curious to know if this is likely to progress.

I have a workflow whereby I have to change a mosaic dataset's definition query manually for a map series, whereas every other layer, query layer and table view is modified using the page query.

I then have to resort to exporting each page in the series individually following the definition query update.

Page query support for mosaic datasets would simplify things for me immensely.

Thank you

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: In Product Plan

SamiRafei

While Raster Mosaic Datasets in ArcGIS Pro have had improvements over their Raster Catalog cousins in ArcGIS Desktop, they have unfortunately lost the Data-Driven functionality that Raster Catalogs have. Using bookmarks to create map series is a poor substitute because it doesn't give the option linking the display of the raster to other features in other map frames. This was achieved in desktop by setting the page query property of the 'Footprint' layer to the proper field. Using Map Frame display constraints doesn't solve the problem if the raster datasets overlap. Why has the footprint layer lost its page query property? Please bring it back!

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.2. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.2.