ArcGIS Pro: Linking Map view to Layout view

09-14-2017 07:07 AM
Labels (1)
KevinCross2
New Contributor III

It would be great if you could Link the "Map views" to the "Layout views".   So, if I navigate to something in one of my "Map views" it shows up on the "Layout View" tab as well.  Without having to create a bookmark.

32 Comments
JanetParker
Agree 100% It is wasting time to have to duplicate work.
SarahHartholt

haven't used it myself, but apparently this is available in ArcPro 2.9 (skip ahead to 6:20 in the video)

Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 - Esri Community

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

As @SarahHartholt just noted, ArcGIS Pro 2.9 brings a new context menu button, Zoom to Last Active Map.  See that What's New help topic, Layouts section.

KoryKramer_0-1636669502538.png

Also check out Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 to see everything else you can expect in 2.9.

Skyler
by

@KoryKramer: for clarification, does this new ability allow for the layout view to be synchronized with the map view, so that future changes to the map view extent will be reflected in the layout view? I believe this type of synchronization, as is already available between different map views using linked views in ArcPro, and has long been available for layouts in ArcMap, is what this idea is suggesting.

KoryKramer

Hi @Skyler Thank you for your feedback.  I understand the comparison with ArcMap on this one.  Since Pro allows multiple layouts, there is a lot of added complexity in this type of design that was not necessary in ArcMap where there is only a single layout.  That, combined with the consideration that there were many users/use cases where the automatic "syncing" of the map and layout in ArcMap was not wanted, led to the design included in Pro 2.9.  I hope this explanation helps.

by Anonymous User

Hi @KoryKramer is there a way to do the opposite? To click on the Map and have it zoom to the Layout View Extent? I think that's what I'm looking for. Thanks.

TI
by

Ditto.  I'd like to have a map view zoom to the extent of an existing layout view's extent.

KoryKramer

Hi @Anonymous User and @TI No, there isn't a 'Zoom To Layout View'... actually, I suppose it would have to be, when you're in a Map, have a 'Zoom to <the extent of a particular map frame from a specified layout>' 🙂

In this simple example, there are two layouts, each with four map frames. I could just as easily have 10 layouts with any number of map frames.

KoryKramer_1-1661811779658.png

So when in the Map, what you're asking for is a command that would allow you to either 'zoom to last active map frame' (the opposite of this command):

KoryKramer_0-1661811761500.png

And also to have a 'Zoom to Map Frame Extent' gallery (the opposite of this):

KoryKramer_2-1661811962655.png

Correct? You could post a new idea to request that. One way you could do it for now, when working in a map frame, you could create a bookmark and then when you're out in any map in the project, use the bookmark to zoom to the extent of the map frame. 

TI
by

Yes, that's exactly what I need.  It would be at least as useful to me as the current (new) functionality that is the other way around (or possibly even more useful).  But I can see that both would be useful at times.

Yes, I appreciate that there could be many map frames in many layouts in some projects.  But I suspect that there are a lot of projects out there that only have one or two layouts with one or two map frames each.

PS.  Idea posted to:  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/zoom-map-view-to-extent-of-a-layout-view-s-map/idi-p/... (referencing KoryKramer's post, specifically).

Another way to implement this, instead of a separate feature, would be to simply extend the existing feature to include both map frames and map views as extent sources, AND to make the feature available in both map views as well as in layouts.  This would mean that you could also zoom one map view to the extent of another map view, or zoom one map frame to the extent of another map frame.  Ie, allowing all permutations.

by Anonymous User

Thank you @TI! I gave that new idea kudos. I'm so glad you understand! 🙂 

Also, thank you @KoryKramer for the screen shots etc. That's what we're looking for!