ArcGIS Pro: Linking Map view to Layout view

09-14-2017 07:07 AM
Labels (1)
KevinCross2
New Contributor III

It would be great if you could Link the "Map views" to the "Layout views".   So, if I navigate to something in one of my "Map views" it shows up on the "Layout View" tab as well.  Without having to create a bookmark.

32 Comments
SianDoherty1

It's counter-intuitive to have removed this functionality. It's not intuitive to think, oh i will just activate my map frame and then drag it to where i want it again with the scale i want etc because i've already done it in my map view. Please bring back the link. If necessary - make it an option that is off by default - link map to layout. Then those who want it can turn it on and those who don't are none the wiser but everyone wins

AnthonyAtkins2

I'm having a hard time believing and/or understanding how this functionality has not been added! This really does lead me to believe that the programmers of this software really don't use it. How do we get this functionality added to an up coming update?

JulioGarrido

Folks...  The initial question was posted in September 2017.  That is over 3 years ago.  Back then ArcGIS Pro 2.0 was barely released (June 2017), then 2.1 (January 2018), 2.2 (June 2018), and so on until our latest build 2.6.3 (November 2020).  Still, in all this time, the development team has ignored the plea of the people wanting ArcGIS Pro to link the map and layout views - the same thing ArcMap has done for as long as I can remember. C'mon ESRI...

AngeliqueMcBride

Has this been rectified? I need it!!

SarahHartholt

Please add this functionality! I would like to export a map series of parks where infrastructure exists underground. I would like to display the information in a side-by-side view rather than on 1 map so that the viewer can clearly see the data without any overlapping points and lines.

I think the only way to achieve this currently is to use bookmarks. My current workflow will need to be: create 1 bookmark for each park. In layout view select map 1, activate bookmark 1, select map 2, activate bookmark 1, export PDF.  Repeat until all locations have been exported.

SarahHartholt_1-1618515849079.png

GregoryAllspaw

A response on this issue from the ESRI development team is WAY overdue.

In my opinion, there are different ways that this issue can be addressed to my satisfaction.  But continuing to do nothing is unacceptable.  At least one of the following options needs to be made a reality:

1.  Enable dynamic linking between a map view and a layout map frame...just as we already have the ability to link two map views.  If this "gets too complicated" with multiple map frames, stop punishing those of us who only need a single map frame.

2. Create a button/command (to be used on-demand) to zoom the layout map frame extent to match (or at least approximate) the current extent of the map view.

3. Expand arcpy capabilities to be able to read the current extent/camera information from the map view and then apply that same info to the layout map frame.  If this is currently possible, I have yet to figure it out.

I believe we would all appreciate a meaningful response from ESRI staff on this issue.

AubriKinghorn
Status changed to: Under Consideration

RodNielson1

Wow ... it's surprising that this issue goes back to September 2017, and that nothing has been done about it. 

Of course, we have to remember that developers don't actually use the software to do their work on a day-to-day basis like GIS analysts do, hence they don't understand the issue it causes for users.

For me, I regularly have to make apparent electromagnetic conductivity (ECa) soil maps with data at 6 depths. My map template in Pro has 7 map frames (including a location map) and 2 map layouts. All map frames in the layouts have the same extent and orientation (except the location map). 

So I not only have to set the map extents mutiple times (currently I'm using bookmarks), but I have to do the map orientation multiple times as well. If I set the orientation in my map frame to 45 degrees (for example) to suit the shape of the field I'm working on, I shouldn't have to set the orientation of the map frame in my map layout as well. It creates twice as many steps and takes twice as long to what I was doing in ArcMap.

At the very least being able to link data frame extents to data frames in layouts, should be an option, switched on by default. And this capability should be extended across multiple map layouts as well. 

To not have this addressed after 4 years is worrying, to say the least. 

jschuckert

Need this functionality as well!!

Ellen
by

I agree that it would be great to have this functionality! It's a big stumbling block for new GIS users to invest the time into ArcPro when the data isn't synched to the layout/map view and so they've chosen to not invest the time into ArcPro and stick with ArcMap.