ArcGIS Pro Help should start showing version numbers (e.g. 1.0-2.1.2)

05-27-2018 04:49 AM
Labels (1)
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Currently, the ArcGIS Pro Help only shows the data for the most recent version of ArcGIS Pro. Yet, there have been breaking changes between different versions of Pro.

This issue affects especially arcpy development. Some arcpy classes have had breaking changes, that unfortunately cannot be looked up in the Help, since the Help only shows the most recent version.

For those developers seeking to maintain backward compatibility, it would be really helpful if the Pro Help showed version numbers like for ArcMap, and allowed selection of a previous version:

20 Comments
TimLangner

Strangely enough I an enquiring about this as I have 2.3 installed and I wanted to upgrade to 2.4. I am using an SQL Server 2012 and 2.4 doesn't support 2012. The database is due to be upgraded this year but until then.....

I'm now going to do some edits so hopefully by running 2.3.3 it doesn't cause errors. I'd rather not have to downgrade it. The alternative is to downgrade my ArcMap 10.7 to ArcMap 10.6.1. However, I'm trying to be modern and use ArcGIS Pro as much as possible.

This idea has only been reviewed and isn't yet under consideration. I do hope ESRI consider it. I also hope they put previous help versions on here too, rather than just doing it going forward.

Finally, a workaround is to install the offline help files from older versions.

MarcoBoeringa

Kory Kramer‌, any updates to this issue regarding a "versioned" Help for ArcGIS Pro? Clearly, based also on other users' responses here in the thread, there is a need for this, and ESRI always supported this for ArcMap.

KoryKramer

Hi Marco, 

I just updated this idea's status to Under Consideration.  It is something that the documentation team is actively looking into, but there are some other resource considerations that need to be taken into account before we might see this implemented for Pro doc.  So it's Under Consideration but I want to set the expectation that it might not happen in the next release or two - it might be more of a mid-term project.  Also, Under Consideration does not always lead to Implemented (Statuses for ArcGIS Ideas‌) but I'm hopeful that we'll be able to fulfill this request.

PaulHoefflerGISS

I would up-vote this more than once if I could.

I'm sure maintaining only one version of the documentation has plenty of advantages for Esri, which I can appreciate, but as ArcGIS Pro is becoming more stable and more capable we can expect that these versions are going to stick around longer. Most of us are or will be operating in a mixed-version environment. 

As the product matures the online documentation ought to mature with it... (gracefully)

ThomasColson

A bid specification for a desktop GIS suite stating that "...online documentation must support current and previous two version....blah blah blah" would accomplish this easily........

Makes one wonder what use case resulted in only the current version being available.....

MarcoBoeringa

Makes one wonder what use case resulted in only the current version being available.....

Honestly, I have no idea...

ESRI always made a great effort to keep at least the Help systems of previous versions of their Desktop software available, you can still access the 9.2 Help..., even though ESRI retired 9.x long ago:

ArcGIS Desktop Help 9.2 - welcome 

ThomasColson

I frequently get email from users on an older version of Pro, with a link to the current (only) version of Pro Help, asking me why such and such isn't working. Pro, more "efficient", creating a ton more work for me. 

PaulHoefflerGISS

Esri Technical Support is looking to see if a BUG or ENHancement request has been logged on this issue, since the lack of backward versions in online documentation for ArcGIS Pro recently created a problem for them and for us. Will report back on that as more information is available.

DavidWilton

This is also relevant when a new feature gets added. For example, arcpy.metadata what version of ArcGIS pro can I use that at? It doesn't say on the help:

Metadata—Metadata module | Documentation 

The only way I can work it out is searching the release notes.

What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.5—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Note that the above link is also just the "latest" I can't direct link to the 2.5 release notes because they are the latest (I can link to 2.4).

It would be best if the help said what version the feature was added at

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

Beginning with ArcGIS Pro 2.7, the online documentation system allows you to switch versions. If you haven't upgraded to ArcGIS Pro 2.7, you can access help topics specific to ArcGIS Pro 2.6 by using the Other versions dropdown.  From version 2.7 moving forward, help topics launched from the application will connect to web help matching the version of ArcGIS Pro.

See what's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.7!

KoryKramer_0-1608222184780.png