ArcGIS Pro GPS Toolbar

02-09-2017 05:38 AM
Labels (1)
MooreCounty
New Contributor II

Please add a GPS toolbar with similar functionality to the ArcMap GPS toolbar. In particular, being able to connect to a USB GPS unit and auto-panning would be great. 

When up voting this Idea, please add a Comment with information about how you use connected GPS with Desktop (ArcMap).  How do you connect the unit, what type of work are you doing, and what functionality from the current ArcMap GPS toolbar do you use most?  Is there important functionality missing from the existing toolbar that would be beneficial in a Pro GPS "toolbar"?

Moderator Note

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.7. See https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/arcgis-pro-gps-toolbar/idc-p/1010299/highlight/true#M14572

45 Comments
by Anonymous User

The ability to read GPS data (NMEA) that is on a network (UDP & TCP) would also be useful (for use on ships). QGIS has a very nice plugin for this...

Arne

ShanaGail1

I noticed the status is now "IN PRODUCT PLAN".  Does that mean it will come out in the next release?

MarkBillinger

We use the GPS tool to real time navigate in the field to conduct inspections on groundwater wells and surface water diversions.  Most of the time we work in remote areas where use of aerial imaging and gps tool is required to navigate to the sites.  Need to be able to work offline due to poor to no cell coverage in most areas.  Have used both DNR Garmin extension (not supported in 10.5) via usb port and now using ArcMap GPS tool with serial port adapter along with a garmin handheld unit.  Works great!  Preparing to lose this tool so have tried ArcExplorer on handheld devices lately as a backup, but really like to see it added to ArcPro since we will be losing 10.5 in a couple of years.  Thanks

TanuHoque

Evan Mosher

Hi Evan,

Great feedback. Thanks.

I have few stupid questions.

Course over Ground, so displaying some sort of custom icon that has a front and rear would be great.

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you meant

our crews like to use a "vector arrow" that reaches out ahead of the vessel at a specified distance

what is 'vector arrow'?

Thanks.

Tanu

TanuHoque

Andy Clark

Hi Andy,

Ideally we would like to be able to take our ArcGIS Pro project out into the field with us and have the GNSS (GPS) functionality like ArcMap has.

Would you mind tell us how you use GPS while out in the field? Do you collect point data or update/modify existing feature geometries?

Thanks.
Tanu

ShanaGail1

Hi,

The natives are getting restless...  they want their GPS!  Any updates on a release timeline?  I've been watching the roadmap, and I think it has been in the Mid-term column for at least a year. 

Thanks,

Shana

KoryKramer

Hi Shana - this functionality it currently in development.  I believe the plan is to deliver it in Pro 2.6 which would be middle of next year.  When Pro 2.5 releases in January we'll get an updated roadmap published and it should bring this work into the Near-term.  I hope this helps!

ShanaGail1

Ok, thanks for the update Kory.  It helps that I at least have a release version.  I will report back to the natives... and then run. 😕

~Shana

KirkMetzger

I have been using the ArcMap GPS tool to provide real time mapping in the field on wildfire for years. This enables  me to accurately locate and map features critical to directing resource and equipment to safely engage wildfires.

www.incidentsupport.com

ShanaGail1

Hi Korey, I saw the newsletter today on "What's New in ArcGIS Pro 2.5".  I followed the links, and the What's Next link took me to the July 2019 roadmap.  Do you have a link to the most current roadmap?

Thanks,

Shana