ArcGIS Pro GPS Toolbar

02-09-2017 05:38 AM
Labels (1)
MooreCounty
New Contributor II

Please add a GPS toolbar with similar functionality to the ArcMap GPS toolbar. In particular, being able to connect to a USB GPS unit and auto-panning would be great. 

When up voting this Idea, please add a Comment with information about how you use connected GPS with Desktop (ArcMap).  How do you connect the unit, what type of work are you doing, and what functionality from the current ArcMap GPS toolbar do you use most?  Is there important functionality missing from the existing toolbar that would be beneficial in a Pro GPS "toolbar"?

Moderator Note

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.7. See https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/arcgis-pro-gps-toolbar/idc-p/1010299/highlight/true#M14572

45 Comments
ShanaGail1

Ok, thanks for the update Kory

Shana

StephenRead

I have been asked by a PhD student whether he can connect a handheld GPS to GIS software and feed in locations so that he can track and keep a record of the location at which he has collected data while on board a ship. It would be nice to do this in ArcGIS Pro.

DaleRichter

Connecting a GPS either via an USB port or accessing the internal GPS and location services of a device is a must for business.  Been very disappointed that this seems to be low priority from ESRI.  To me this would be an essential functionally for a spatial scientist.

DEWright_CA

This would be a great addition; with users losing functions from ArcPad; and not wanting to build new in AppBuilder; getting this basic function set in Pro would help fill a good gap where Tracking-Analyst is way overkill.

AndreasHesterkamp

The usage of GPS in ArcPro would enhance consturction site Monitoring and Planing.

The connected GPS tool  could - when using high precision instuments - lead to Automation in Construction industry.

Some tool around have to be developed.

Andreas

RayShadow

I work with a small search and rescue team and would like to be able to use garmin alpha 100's and all of their abilities to track dogs and handlers from various devices onto one screen. 

BillPatrick

Yes, we use the Panasonic Toughpad with an internal GPS receiver and we use it for all of our field navigation within ArcMap via the GPS toolbar. We will be unable to migrate to an ArcGIS Pro workflow without the GPS location functionality.

ShanaGail1

I was encouraged to see Kory's comment earlier in this thread: 

"GPS Support is a mid-term project for Pro ArcGIS Pro Roadmap - September 2018 

Mid-term means next 2-3 releases.  I guess we could say that technically this is in the product plan, but its a little further out than we like in order to update the status.  I'm sure the team will re-evaluate once Pro 2.3 ships in early 2019."

JosephMcGehan

We use ArcGIS Collector, which is good but limited especially in the fully disconnected outback of Australia. Having GPS support in ArcGIS Pro would give us the ability to do more, including business critical functions. 

DhanPrabhu

We would like to request the GPS toolbar to connect a GPS via USB to ArcGIS Pro.  A  major chunk of our Geoscientists' work is mapping geological outcrops, which requires in-the-field location capabilities for editing, especially manipulating lines.  This work flow often requires desktop tools rather than using Collector.  ArcMap is the current desktop environment for connecting to GPS, but moving to ArcGIS Pro will need this same functionality.