ArcGIS Pro Enable the Label Placement Properties in a Scene

08-23-2018 09:02 AM
Labels (1)
MichaelMayer
New Contributor II

Currently when trying to label in ArcGIS pro in a local or global scene, you have very limited labeling functionality when it comes to the Label Placement properties. Almost all tools for Placement and position options are grayed out, except the initial placement value. I've included screen shots below. This is really limiting when trying to annotate or label features in a scene, particularity when being used in an animation. For example, I'm trying to create balloon callouts identifying different mines in BC and I'm unable to center justify the text, get my leader lines to show or show overlapping labels (see "Scene" screenshot). I can't offset the labels at all to even get those leader lines showing which is apparently what needs to be done. This is extremely limiting for annotating and labeling features in a scene. You don't have the ability to deal with conflicting labels, or the ability to place overlapping labels, all grayed out!  The tools and functionality all appear to be there, but the tools are grayed out so it's very misleading. I would love to see this labeling functionality for all aspects of Pro, not just for Maps but Scenes as well. You're really promoting the 3D uses of Pro, then give us the functionality we need to annotate and label our scenes properly so our animations and 3d maps are more professional looking. 

4 Comments
ChristianVogt-Heinze

I fully support what has been said. The labeling of, for example, urban planning models and concepts in the scene is very important and here you should have all the possibilities of the usual labeling. It is desperate if available settings do not work, such as moving the label in height or side (offset X, offset Y, offset Z).

FourCornersMapping

I'm using Pro 3.0, which should allow for the customization of label properties in a scene. But I am having the same issue--all label position properties are greyed out, with the exception of the placement drop-down.

Screen Shot 11-18-22 at 03.01 AM.JPG

Screen Shot 11-18-22 at 03.01 AM 001.JPG

ChrisWoodward

I couldn't agree more! I could use many of the standard map labeling tools in scene. 

ChrisWoodward

I was able to add some level of labeling in 3D by creating a point feature class and adding a random point where I wanted a label to appear, then symbolize the point with something very small and obscure and make the label appear as I wanted to overlap the non-needed point. This has been the one of the only ways I can determine on how to add labels at specific locations in 3D scene. Another way for lines is to generalize the line as each segment is individually labeled. Once I have all segments into a single feature, I apply labels then split the line where I strategically want labels to appear. Not ideal but workable. Wanted to share my work-around hack ideas.