ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2: The version of the Pro is not displayed on the icon created in the desktop,

11-01-2019 04:22 AM
Labels (1)
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2: The version of the Pro is not displayed on the icon created in the desktop

For example, the version of ArcMap is used to appear in the desktop icon. This applies also to the icons of ArcGIS Server! They don’t show the version!

Tags (2)
7 Comments
DanPatterson_Retired

If you use the latest, it isn't relevant 

JamalNUMAN

There is for sure an advantage to show the version but is there any when it is hidden?

DanPatterson_Retired

As a developer, you don't have to change the icon every time a version changes cutting down on unnecessary work

JamalNUMAN

I think that this is the easiest thing developers can do but make much of sense for end users!

DanPatterson_Retired

I guess I am not following.  Since you can only have one version installed on a machine, maybe a sticky note with the version number on the monitor would be a working substitute.

DanPatterson_Retired

jcokin1

The simplest solution is to rename the file yourself. Do not know why ESRI did not put the file version in the name of ArcGIS Pro like every other GIS or Windows application that most of us run. I hope this youtube video helps the community out.  

How to rename icon in Start Menu (Windows 10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpKEaTrLX6M

The GIS user should not have to do this but it is what it is. 🤷‍

Here is the before and after for the simple fix. Problem solved.

screen_capture_2024-01-23_11-42-29.jpg