ArcGIS does not prompt you WHAT LAYERS you want to save!

11-30-2011 07:18 AM
BrianLamondin
New Contributor II

ArcGIS does not prompt you when you save your edits!  Especially if you don’t want to save changes on a certain layer, ie. if you altered something by mistake!
If you have the option to save "what" layers, you'd know if there was something that was NOT supposed to be saved! This has caused me alot of grief. Coming from a Mapinfo background, it would ask "What layers do you want to save?"
AT LEAST GIVE US THE OPTION IN OUR INDIVIDUAL SETUP TO DO THIS!!!
This to me is a basic request!

2 Comments
DuncanHornby
A work around to this problem is this: maintain your data in separate geodatabases or if you are using shapefiles separate folders then you are only ever editing a single workspace. Clunky but this stops you messing up your data.
JohnStreeb
You don't even really have to maintain it in separate datasets if you are using SDE; all you'd have to do in that case would be to set up versions and have data you don't want edited set to a protected default version and the datasets to edit set to another version.  Then, when you start editing, you select the edit version and any subsequent saves are only against the layers connected to that version.  At least, that's how we handle the issue in my organization.