Apply Enterprise Item Name to Feature Service Layer when added to Pro

11-21-2022 11:06 PM
RossSmail
New Contributor III

When added to Pro, an Enterprise feature service is labelled in the table of contents with the name of the layer it exposes, rather than the title of the item. I realize that there are probably reasons why it has to do this, but it's a little confusing to the end user - they add a layer that is listed in the Catalog pane with its title, and it is added to the map with a different name.

As an example, I recently created a set of Enterprise items that reference a single feature service item, applying filters to that item to display subsets of the data - eg, just the Lithium deposits from a mineral occurrence database. Each of those items has a different title, and in the Enterprise map viewer, that title is used to identify the layer in the TOC. The title is also displayed in the Catalog Pane in Pro, but when added to the map, the name of the underlying service layer is displayed. Hence if the user adds a couple of the filtered layers to their Pro map, they get a couple of layers with the exact same name. They can obviously edit that name, but that's a bit clunky. 

I dare say that I've missed how to do this, in which case I hope someone will point me in the right direction! Obviously there are other ways to achieve my aim, but as a general point it seems to me that the name of the layer when you add it to Pro should be the same as the name of the layer you selected.

The quick and dirty image below illustrates the difference in experience in Enterprise vs. Pro 3.0 - content/catalog view on the left, map table of contents view on the right:

LayerNamingInProFromEnterprise.png