Allow the GET COUNT Tool to Output to a Table or Text File

11-15-2019 03:03 PM
Labels (1)
BrianWade
Occasional Contributor

When attempting to get a simple record count on 500+ processed features the GET COUNT tool works great as a quicker version of the SUMMERIZE tool, however it does not allow for a simple output to a table or a text file.

I assume that through major gyrations of a combo of tools, this can be made this happen but I at this point have found a half work around.

After the tools completion, I copy the results from the detail history pane into a text editor, delete the top few lines until I can run a macro that leaves me with:

filename.dbf

count: 1000000

run a macro to bring the count onto the same line as the filename:

filename.dbf count: 1000000

and it’s ready to bring into Excel using the “:” as a delimiter.

Admittedly I don’t know much python however I assume this all can be accomplished with a couple lines of code.

Keep in mind my processed features each have thousands to millions of records so the summarize tool takes "forever" vs my workaround takes 5 minutes.

So, I think a count output to table or text at the completion of the GET COUNT Tool is an idea whose time has come.

1 Comment
curtvprice

I found your post from earlier this year I would like to get a record count for many shapefiles created during a process into a table for  a ...

-- and created a little ModelBuilder tool that will do what you need. I think.

RowCountToTableTools.tbx