Allow formatting of leader lines created in annotation

08-20-2021 07:53 AM
Labels (1)
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

I believe this was an option in ArcMap. I can't find any setting to change leader lines from a plain black line when they are created in annotation (via R click>Add Leader). It would be great to be able to format and modify these like other lines in ArcGIS Pro.

Tags (1)
4 Comments
CiaraRowland-Simms

Hi there, the leaderline symbol is part of the text symbol and there are a couple of ways you can change it.

Option 1 - Most useful for one-off pieces of text

• Activate selection tool on ribbon (map tab or editing tab)
  • Select your piece of annotation
  • Launch the attributes pane (from the small icon on the ribbon - map tab or editing tab)
  • Click the symbol button on attributes pane
    CiaraRowlandSimms_0-1629740107296.png
  • Go to callout properties
  • Change the line (e.g. using simple line, or background callout for complex lines)
    CiaraRowlandSimms_1-1629740412339.png
  • Apply your changes and see the selected annotation update

Option 2 - Useful if you want to reuse the same line for multiple pieces of text

• Ensure you have no unsaved edits
  • Open Catalog pane or window
  • Navigate to your annotation feature class
  • Right click and launch annotation feature class properties from the context menu
  • Select 'Add new symbol' option
    CiaraRowlandSimms_2-1629740469510.png
  • Under symbol, set the desired leader and/or callout
    CiaraRowlandSimms_3-1629740532896.png
  • Save your new symbol into the feature class
  • Now, when you come to create a new piece of annotation
    CiaraRowlandSimms_5-1629740638863.png
  • or edit an existing piece you can use this symbol to get the desired leader:
    CiaraRowlandSimms_4-1629740606173.png

CiaraRowlandSimms_6-1629740695105.png

Hope that helps! Thanks,
Ciara

JosphatMutunga

To add to what Ciara suggested, you can use the Annotation tool to add a leader line to a plane text or make other edits. You can find this tool in the Edit tools gallery in the Edit ribbon tab or within Modify features pane. 

I created a gif to demo the workflow.  

AnnotEditing.gif

Annotation tool within the Modify Features pane (Edit ribbon tab > Modify Features > Alignment > Annotation)

Josphat_MM_0-1629742831637.png

For additional information, please check our online help here https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/editing/edit-annotation-text.htm

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Josphat.

wayfaringrob

@JosphatMutunga, that was the process I was describing. Thanks!

@CiaraRowland-Simms, I hadn't thought to look there, thank you! I think it would make more sense for the leader line symbol to live in the right click menu with other leader line settings or at least have a link there.

CiaraRowland-Simms

Glad that helped! Thank you for the feedback - we will look into making it more intuitive to find. 

Thanks!

Ciara