Allow an output location to be specified in KML to layer tool.

09-16-2014 06:04 AM
Labels (1)
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Currently the KML to Layer tool asks for an output folder location and when complete creates one geodatabase with a feature dataset to house the one multipatch. While this works great for individual kmls, it is terrible for multiple kmls.  With the advance of 3d modeling of buildings there are plenty of programs that create multipatches and kmls each building.  There is a code example that details how this might be done given the limitations of the output.  I would prefer the output location to be specified so that you could put all the layers into on gdb and negate the reason to have to jump through the rest of the code.

6 Comments
Kerry_Shakarjian

Thought I'd mention to Kory Kramer‌ and Thomas Colson in case you can help elevate this 😃

Its now 2019, and I'm working in Pro v2.3.2 and this is still an issue for this tool. I just created two separate file geodatabases on output because that is the only option I have for individual KML outputs.

While using the KML to Layer tool, for the Output Location it only gives a folder option and then it only gives an Output Data Name option. There is an existing file geodatabase in my Output Location "folder" that was created the first time I used this tool but Pro doesn't see it because its only looking for a folder so I can't use the geodatabase to put the new feature class into. On output its going to create a new file geodatabase with the new Output Name feature class and that is not what I want, more clutter. It would be nice to be able to put the output into an existing geodatabase.

I also think this issue may relate to another idea that was mentioned back in 2012 relating to being Consistent in Output Field and Location. 

Thank you,

Kerry

ThomasColson

A couple of things going on here. Attempting to create a new FGDB for the output dialogue appears to be a little wonky, giving you no choice for FGDB name, nor any feedback that is created one in the first place. Second, upon running the tool, it does output yet another FGDB. From https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/conversion/kml-to-layer.htm, I do not see the explicit words as follows: "This tool will create an output filegeodatabase" and "there is no option to use an existing file geodatabase", so the conclusion is a tool bug or a documentation bug. I'm going with the former, as I can't fathom how you would NOT want the option of going to an existing FGDB. Didn't compare this to ArcMap. 

ProfFerideSchroeder

The same thing occurs in ArcMap, it won't let you select a geodatabase and creates one for every new kml.

by Anonymous User

Does anyone know if a workaround for this has evolved or if there is a potential update? 

DrewFlater
Status changed to: In Product Plan

This idea is in planning with our development team, to add to ArcGIS Pro's KML To Layer tool in the near term. 

When a geodatabase is provided which already exists, the current pattern is to overwrite the geodatabase. In the near term we will have parameters so that the user can choose to not overwrite the geodatabase but rather give a new feature dataset name and feature class prefix and those contents will be created inside the existing geodatabase. 

AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.2. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.2.

The Your Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.2 blog and video have been posted to the Esri Community blog. You can take a look at these to see your idea and all others that were implemented in this release of ArcGIS Pro.