Add possibility to remove all "Match" columns when geocoding from ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap

06-08-2017 05:10 AM
Labels (1)
LarsElmkær_Chwastek
Occasional Contributor

When geocoding addresses in ArcGIs Pro or ArcMap, the result will comprise of not only your own original data, but also a lot of coloumns that are related to the matching/geocoding process. It would be extremely helpful to be able to choose whether or not you wanted that data in your resulting Feature Class.

The extra data not only clouds the original data but also enhances the size of the file A LOT.

Furthermore when geocoding in ArcGIS Pro, the geocoding process adds "IN_" to some of the matching Field names and "USER_" to the original datas Field names... WHY? The Field names are named as they are for a reason, which is futile if ArcGIS Pro renames them anyway.. This does not happen when geocoding in ArcGIS Maps for Office or directly in ArcGIS Online.

In ArcMap the geocoding process adds "ARC_" to some of the matching Field names.

These functionalities should be remowed or at least made optional.

N.B. This Idea is posted on behalf of a customer!

22 Comments
BradNiemand

Currently there is no option to exclude additional output fields from the batch geocoding process for ArcGIS online or classic locators (locators built with the Create Address Locator Tool) but we will consider this enhancement for a future release of Pro.

There is however a way to exclude output fields for locators created with the Create Locator tool in Pro 2.3 and newer.  To do this, you would open the properties dialog for a locator on disk in Pro (add the locator to the project, right click on the locator and select Properties).  Then you would go to the output tab in the properties dialog.  There you will be able to disable most of the additional fields that are added during the batch geocoding process.  This doesn't, however, allow you to exclude the the USER_ or IN_ fields.

The IN_ fields are the fields that are mapped when performing the batch geocoding and they are used for the rematching process to make sure the fields are mapped the same way they were when the original geocoding occurred.  The USER_ fields are just a copy of the original data into the geocoded featureClass in order to keep the fields associated with the new output.

Brad

MichaelVolz

Brad:

You talk about configuring the locator parameters to exclude excessive fields with the Create Locator tool.  Can these items be accessed programmatically if you want to build the locator using python with the Pro software?

BradNiemand

Michael,

Currently there is no way to modify locator properties programmatically but we have had discussions internally about supporting this via Python.  Is Python where you would want to perform this from?

Brad

ColeAndrews

What you mention is a workaround, not a functionality option. Feature class to feature class requires a new output.

KevinMayall

LOL. If you'd rather keep running the model in your screenshot, be my guest.

ColeAndrews

Nope, just acknowledging that this ideas forum is for functionality improvements and that's what the OP asked for.

DanHuerter2

We're looking at moving our users from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro and this is an issue that needs to be addressed (no pun intended) before we can consider ArcGIS Pro a viable substitute for ArcMap.  I can think of very few tools that will rename attributes.  This changes entire workflows and adds extra steps.  It's easy to say just use the Feature Class to Feature Class tool to create an additional copy of the results and rename the fields.  There are times when I may have 50 or more attributes to rename - not fun and a waste of my time.  Get rid of the USER_ or provide a checkbox to remove it from the output.  Please let us know when this will be addressed.  #NoMoreUSER_

MichaelVolz

Yes I would like to be able to perform this action in python as that is my current workflow and I do not see that going away, since organizational geocode services based on the address locators can not be copied up and hosted in the organizational AGOL site.

WillHughes

Ideally the geocoding result should be two tables:

1. Copy of the original schema with added x,y (displayx,displayy),
  2. Associated table with the geocoding match results

However, a simple workaround is to open the csv file and rename the columns and remove unwanted columns or do it programmatically.

Glad to see that  Lars Elmkær Chwastek 's idea is In Product Plan

KoryKramer
Status changed to: Implemented

Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.7.

See Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 2.7: Something to Celebrate 

Also check out what's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.7!