Add my computer to catalog view and favorites back to add data to map

05-21-2021 12:41 PM
Labels (1)
MarkVolz
Occasional Contributor III

With ArcGIS Pro 2.8 we now have the option to add data from my computer.  However the option to add data from favorites is now missing.  In addition I think it will be useful if "My Computer" is available in the catalog view.  these changes will make the add data and catalog view more consistent with each other.

Options for add data dialog

• Project
  • Portal
  • Computer
  • Favorites (which was in 2.7, note this favorites should be based on the favorites in the catalog view, which is different than the favorites in Portal)

Options for working with the Catalog View.

• Project
  • Portal
  • Computer (This was added to the add dialog box, but not the Catalog View)
  • Favorites

Thanks!

10 Comments
KoryKramer

Here is what I see in the Add Data dialog in Pro 2.7:

KoryKramer_0-1621626505523.png

It did not contain Favorites.  This part of your idea sounds like a duplicate of https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/add-data-favorites/idi-p/966435 You should add your vote there if you haven't already.

If you agree, then this new idea should be cleaned up to be specifically about adding My Computer to Catalog View...

NaicongLi
Status changed to: Under Consideration

NaicongLi
Status changed to: In Product Plan

nadja_swiss_parks

Currently, I need to set for each new project a folder connection to all data that I need in that project (unless of course, I have saved folder connections from a previous project). This seems cumbersome - why not show the file system instead of folder connections? It would be nice to allow to add shortcuts to the favourite folders in ADDITION TO the entire file system. Like in the file explorere - there are all your data and here are your favourites.  

RandyCasey

I feel you on this, but if you haven't tried this, you should try using Add To New Projects when you find that you are always connecting to the same folder or folders in every new project. That way, those connections are always present in every new project. I find that this works best when saving folders or drives to both Favorites and New Projects, that way if I decide at one point to remove a persisting folder connection, but then later need it again, I can re-add it to my project from Favorites.

This has worked really great for me and at present, because my Favorites inventory is all our network drives and databases along with key folders and drives from my local machine. I personally haven't had to add a folder connection in some time.

BillFox

folder indexing considerations too?

nadja_swiss_parks

@RandyCasey Thank you for your tipp, I know that button. it's what I meant by "unless of course, I have saved folder connections from a previous project". But if I open a project which somebody else created I lose MY folder connections anyway.

nadja_swiss_parks

@BillFox Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by "folder indexing considerations"?

BillFox
AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.1. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.1.

The Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 blog will be wrapped up soon, highlighting all Ideas implemented in this release, including this one. Once complete, I will add the link to this comment.