Add Additional Details in Catalog View in ArcGIS PRO

05-03-2018 11:57 AM
Labels (1)
SeanHlousek
Occasional Contributor III

It would be good to add additional Details to the Catalog View (and Catalog Pane).  

Right now Maps and Layouts have a column for Date but nothing is populated.  Date is only populated in Databases.  

Date should be populated for all elements that are visible in Catalog.

Additionally the Document Path should be an additional column to help us ensure that we are pathed to correct data. 

Snapshot of Catalog View Showing Maps with no Dates and no Document Paths

58 Comments
KoryKramer

Plus these: Using ArcCatalog options—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

as also mentioned on this idea specifically about the Feature Type column: https://community.esri.com/ideas/17715 

CharleyPalmer1

Can we please get an update on the status of being able to do this in Pro Catalog? Specifically, when will we be able to see the "Modified" column and other columns for feature classes in the Pro Catalog?

SeanHlousek

Charley,

While that the ESRI UC I spoke with some of the development team about this and the summary is that, back in July they did not expect they would add this functionality.  The reasoning is that Pro works differently then ArcMap in the way it interfaces with the windows file system. Apparently in the past, it was possible to get the details about modifications from the operating system but this is no longer possible in Pro.

That said, I agree with you that this feature needs to be added.  If the operating system cannot be used to add this information, then ESRI needs to engineer a new way for this to happen.  I have been using Pro extensively over the past year and a few of my projects are quiet large. Dates, both creation and modification, are VERY helpful to data management.

I hope they will find a solution or that a third party will offer us a good extension/add-in/product to make it happen. 

DanTinklenberg

I use Pro extensively. I like it overall but this date/size issue for feature classes is one of the dumbest, most glaring omissions I have seen. Software has become one constant beta version.

JakeGalyon

The primary use for our organization would be verifying data was updated after a script/model runs using the date modified date.  Otherwise, staff and users either assume the data has been updated, or have to manually go check for changes within the spatial data, attribute table or both.  

AlexBrasch

It's astonishing that Esri has not addressed this yet. Please focus on the basics; Pro's replacement of basic ArcMap and ArcCatalog functionality is a joke.

KoryKramer

Just adding a note for reference purposes that we've marked https://community.esri.com/ideas/18680 as a Duplicate of this idea.

Steve_Salas

I agree with this - verification of updates by that modified date in Catalog is something I do quite a bit.

JeromeHaaland

Why not just make a message box similar to the one in ArcCatolog.  Then a person could decide what data to display.  And I don't know why it would not be an option to display/not display any metadata available.

I have to project and unproject data often so I use the "Projected CS and Geographic CS" columns often.  Really miss those columns.

Also... why is catalog sooooooooooo slow.  Moved from 32 bit in ArcCatalog to 64 bit in ArcGIS Pro.  And it is slower.  Way way slower.  Ridiculous.  Get rid of the preview that has to access the internet... or at least be able to disable it.  Obviously that is going to create lag/latency.

ErichSzerencsits

ArcGIS pro shows great progress in usability. For data management, which is a core business in all applications, I am still missing many useful features of Arc Catalog.