Ability to pass variables created in a Task to Geoprocessing Tool parameter

09-03-2019 05:40 PM
Labels (1)
RandyCasey
Occasional Contributor II

The Tasks in ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 are a great concept for putting together various workflows into a singular workflow and the ability to run custom Geoprocessing Tools within the Tasks is a great bonus. The ability to create and pass variables throughout the Task steps makes many process simple: like the ability to calculate a field with a value created in an earlier step. This kind of functionality would be great if you could also do this with a Geoprocessing Tool that accepts parameters. This kind of functionality would simplify and optimize a lot of different workflows that currently rely on manual input of parameters from my users, as I could eliminate the human entry/error portion of the workflow and automate data entry and updates. Please consider this for future updates. Thanks.

Tags (2)
4 Comments
AmirBar-Maor
Status changed to: In Product Plan

We know many Geoprocessing tools have derived outputs (new feature class, new feature layer) that can be consumed in a subsequent step (but might not exist during the task design time).

MichaelVolz

Amir:

Has this functionality been implemented or is it still in the planning phase?

Thanks

AmirBar-Maor

@MichaelVolz 

It has been implemented partially but is not yet exposed on the UI.

We cannot provide a timeline when this will be implemented 😞

PierreloupDucroix

I agree,

the ability to get a task variable created earlier in the task, as a geoprocessing input parameter would be a game changer for tasks, improving the workflow and capabilities of the tool.