Ability to Overwrite Hosted Feature Layer Within ModelBuilder

02-12-2020 07:33 AM
Labels (1)
LindsayMaier
New Contributor III

Let's say you have a model in ArcGIS Pro that you run regularly to clean/change some data, after which you share that layer to your Portal/AGOL. To share the result of this layer, you have to either do it manually (right click --> sharing --> overwrite web layer) after running your model, or you can create a Python script to do it and embed the script into your model. However, there is no simple, out-of-the-box "Overwrite Web Layer" tool that you can drag and drop into a model that will do it. This would be very useful for those of us that aren't great with Python and want overwrite a hosted feature layer from within ModelBuilder. arcgis - pro‌ overwrite web layer‌ modelbuilder‌

Moderator Note

See the blog and sample posted here https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-ideas/ability-to-overwrite-hosted-feature-layer-within/idc-p/1089800/highlight/true#M16856

31 Comments
emilyblackburn

Genius!!

StephenGrassia3

This is what I am currently having trouble with. Have you found a way to do it?

What is the script you developed for adding "overwrite web layer"?

LindsayMaier

Not a clean, easy way, but it can be done with Python if you're willing to put some effort into it. It's not the simplest (or at least I didn't think it was, but I'm also not well-versed in Python). It wasn't my script - I found it on GeoNet. It's been a while since I used it, so I'm not 100% positive this was what I used, but I think so. At the very least, these should get you started:

Hope that helps. Please upvote this idea so that hopefully one day ESRI will give us an out-of-the-box tool for Modelbuilder!

Martijnvan_Osnabrugge

Yes, I'm looking for the possibility to incorporate the share/overwrite web layer functionality as a tool in model builder as well.

ShitijMehta

Thank you for adding and commenting on this!
We will reply back after a bit of brainstorming at our end.

DianaHenderson1

This enhancement would make our update to external data, which we have to incorporate into our systems, much simpler. Thank you:)

JillKaneff1

I attended the 2020 users conference and was hoping to hear that this was somehow built into Model Builder.  It is not.  ESRI staff told me that the only way to do it right now is to write a Python script.  Model Builder is intended for those of us who aren't programmers.  I am not a programmer, so not having this in Model Builder is a huge set back for my organization need to improve efficiencies with online GIS services.  ESRI should strongly consider adding this to Model Builder because the demand for GIS web applications and dashboards are growing exponentially!

ShitijMehta

Thank you Jill for adding your votes to this! While we do not have a promise at this point. We have started a conversation and will keep you updated.

FrancescaFoster

I am trying to do this at the moment as well, and also am not a programmer. We wish to automate a process from start to finish and have a packaged tool, so would like this in Model Builder. 

MattCashen

Just want to echo what has already been said.  This would be a great feature for model building.  I work within the GIS department for a county and I have several municipalities who receive weekly data updates.  Currently, I have a model create those updates and then I drop them in a shared dropbox.  But, if I was able to also have that model automatically overwrite an existing feature service that would be much more convenient for both myself and the municipalities I work with.