Ability to edit standalone tables in ArcMap just as easily as feature classes

05-04-2010 09:34 AM
Labels (1)
AndrewRudin
Occasional Contributor III

I would like the ability to copy, paste, and edit standalone tables in ArcMap just as easily as I can feature classes.  Since you cant set a table as a target, you can't copy and paste records between tables manually.  Also, when you select multiple records in the Table view for a standalone table, then right click, the "Copy Selected" option is greyed out. it would be available if I did the same thing in a feature class.

We use standalone tables alot for storing supplemental data about our features, and they are an integral component of our GIS.  They get edited almost as much as the feature classes, so it would be nice if they didn't act like "second class" objects inside the editing environment.

Thank you

17 Comments
bbieb
by
The ablity to edit within the Attributes Editor and being able to add related records like you do when editing feature classes/related records would be a welcome addition.  We store a lot of LRS data in standalone tables.  If our users had the ability to easily edit that data along with the associated related records, we could eliminate a ton of custom code/toolbars.  Just seems like this would be a fairly easy leap since the only really difference between the standalone table and feature class is the spatial column.

0EME0000000HX0j

0EME0000000HX0y

0EME0000000HX0t
PaulHoefflerGISS

Per Kory Kramer‌ this 10yo Idea is now applicable for consideration in #arcgis-pro‌, too.

PaulHoefflerGISS

I just ran into this issue again a few times today. I'll run it by Esri Technical Support, perhaps they have an enhancement request on file that is specific to ArcGIS Pro.

TimAlbert

The ability to copy multiple rows in a standalone table and paste them into at least the same table is badly needed in ArcGIS Pro.  It seems a little strange that the "Copy" button is so prominent in the table view but there is no ability to "Paste".

NathanShephard
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Bud
by

It has been 4,395 days since this idea was created.

Hopefully, the under-consideration status pans out.

As Paul mentioned, it applies to ArcGIS Pro too. It should be moved to the Pro Ideas community, since ArcMap is no longer being improved.

AmeliaBradshaw
Status changed to: Implemented

This Idea has been implemented in ArcGIS Pro 3.1. Please see the What's New documentation for more new features in Pro 3.1.

The Ideas in ArcGIS Pro 3.1 blog will be wrapped up soon, highlighting all Ideas implemented in this release, including this one. Once complete, I will add the link to this comment.