Know Before You Pro: Getting and Providing Access to ArcGIS Pro

10-07-2014 04:34 PM
GiseleMounzer
Esri Contributor
4 19 5,681

ArcGIS 10.3 Prerelease is now available. This release includes ArcGIS Pro, the new application that is part of the ArcGIS for Desktop license at 10.3.

How can customers access and use ArcGIS Pro?

The maintenance contact in the organization must download ArcGIS Pro from My Esri and make it available the same way any other Esri software is handled in your organization--Watch a video

The ArcGIS Online administrator must assign an ArcGIS Pro license to each Named User through ArcGIS Online--Watch a video

Users must install ArcGIS Pro on their own machines and be assigned an ArcGIS Pro license--Watch a video

Find answers to common licensing questions on this Licensing page.

19 Comments
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Can somebody explain to me what Pro does?  I'm having troubles understanding the benefits of it.  It appears that you only have as many pro licenses as you have Desktop licenses so what extra capabilities does it offer me that Desktop doesn't.

GiseleMounzer
Esri Contributor

Hi Josh,

Have you had the opportunity to see the videos on the ArcGIS Pro page, or to peruse the ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop website? There is a lot of information there that can help answer your question.

In essence, ArcGIS Pro provides a new experience for ArcGIS for Desktop; and while ArcGIS Pro has capabilities that are not available in ArcMap—such as project-based workflows, combined 3D/2D visualization, 64-bit support, and multiple layout support—we don’t think that a one-to-one comparison can provide the full picture of why you would want to use ArcGIS Pro.

We invite you to try it for yourself (you can get a free 60-day trial at: http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcgis-for-desktop/free-trial).

Hope this helps.

Gisele Mounzer

Product Marketing

Esri

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Dear Gisele,

I have read and watched everything on getting ArcGIS Pro up and running and I have been unable to do so since January 2015. I get to the point of "Manage Licenses" during the setup. The problem is, there is no Manage Licenses in My Organization in Portal for ArcGIS (which is the site I intend to use to administer ArcGIS Pro).

Do you know what the problem might be? My organizations maintenance licensing is up-to-date. Please see screenshot below.

Lara

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I have tried it out and even did a tutuorial with the 3D but couldn't get far because I don't have Spatial Analyst;  ArcMap is a far better solution for me and I have no intention of using Pro at this point. 

KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Thanks for your inquiry, Lara. The Manage Licenses option will not appear under "My Organization" if Pro licenses haven't been successfully imported into your Portal. Have you been able to successfully create a Portal Configuration File? If you've already followed the steps demonstrated in the Configuring ArcGIS Pro Licenses with Portal for ArcGIS video (different from the ArcGIS Online video series), please reach out to Technical Support, and we'll definitely investigate:

Contact Tech Support

Best,

Kirsten

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply Kirsten.

I have tried to follow the steps in the video above way back in January, but only got as far as Provisioning ArcGIS Pro in My Esri.

My provisioning page does not list ArcGIS Pro as a product type. Do you have any idea why this is so and what I can do about it? I am very sure that once I'm able to provision ArcGIS Pro license I will be able to complete the remaining steps without any problems.

My Authorizations:

I have also reached out to Technical Support a few times concerning this issue, no reply from either my Authorized International distributor or ESRI.

Lara

KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Thanks, Lara! These details are helpful. You will need to reach out to your Customer Service representative at your Distributor to request that ArcGIS Pro entitlements be made available to you, specifically for use in Portal. Once issued, then ArcGIS Pro will be listed as a Product Type in My Esri and you should be able to create a provisioning file. I've included the link to find additional contact information for your Distributor below: Contact Us.

Please let me know if you have any questions, as I'm happy to help.

Best,

Kirsten

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kirsten.

I have reached out to my local distributor again and hope I will get a positive response this time. Thanks for all your help.

Lara

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kirsten. My local distributor has finally helped to sort out the problem, with the help of your suggestion above. I'm good to go now.

Lara

KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

So glad to be of help Lara! Always feel free to reach out to us on Geonet!

Best,

Kirsten

KelvinMwakomo
Occasional Contributor

Hello

I'm interested in using the ArcGIS Pro  but i don't have the license for this product, i have already installed it in my computer but i don't know were and how i can get the license so i need your help please Gisele Mounzer

Best Regards

Kelvin

KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hello Kelvin,

Thank you for your inquiry. It looks like you have an ArcGIS Online organization activated from what I can see in our system. Are you an administrator of the org, or do you know who the administrator of your org is? If not, please feel free to Contact Tech Support and we'll be able to help you find that information.

If you're an administrator of your org, log into ArcGIS.com and look for a Manage Licenses option:

2015-06-26_1004.png

If you don't see this option, you will need to reach out to customer service at your distributor, to gain access to your Pro licenses. Then once the licenses are available to you, the Manage Licenses option will be available and you will be able to assign yourself and other named users in your org, Pro licenses. I've included a link to the help topic that describes managing ArcGIS Pro licenses via ArcGIS Online for your reference. I hope this is helpful! Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

Kirsten

KelvinMwakomo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kirsten for your clarification but how can i know if my organization has been provisioned to use the ArcGIS Pro because i have not yet reach to the above step

here is were i stuck

Capture.JPG

And also  I'm the administrator in our org, because I'm the one who create that account.

Thanks.

Kelvin

KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hello Kelvin,

I'm glad to help. It appears that you maybe logged into ArcGIS Online with a public account (your personal Esri account or an account you created). See below:

2015-06-29_1012.png

You will need to log into your organizational account to gain access to your ArcGIS Pro licenses. I can see in our system that you are the admin for an organizational account that is activated and that your Pro licenses have been provisioned to the org. I have sent you a personal message with your username associated with this org. Once logged into your org, you will see a home page with the "My Organization" option:2015-06-29_1023.png

If you click this option, the Manage Licenses option should be available. If you are still having trouble logging in and seeing these options with the organizational username, I  would recommend that you Contact Tech Support at your distributor. I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Kirsten

KelvinMwakomo
Occasional Contributor

Hi kirsten!

I'm glad that i finally succeed to  login into my organization account and manage to assigned myself a license for ArcGIS Pro, much thanks to you.

Capture1.JPG

I'm looking forward to get a user manual for ArcGIS Pro if its available.

Best Regards

Kelvin.

KirstenPinkston
Esri Contributor

Hi Kelvin,

I'm glad that you've successfully assigned your Pro license! As for resources to get started, the web help is full of great topics, there is a free web course available (search Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro), and a tutorial on Learn GIS. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Kirsten

KelvinMwakomo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kirsten Pinkston

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

Hello Kirsten,

I'm back again. I hope you can help.

For reasons I cannot phantom, my ArcGIS Pro which worked perfectly prior, now fails during launching.

After the above is where the problem begins. I click sign in and it continues with the initializing process then it just disappears. The application does not launch. Nothing else happens. This happens over and over again.

Its baffling because I didn't have this problem before. I've gone through discussions on GeoNet to see if anyone else has encountered this problem. I found nothing. Can you help?

Lara

OmolaraKareem
Occasional Contributor

The license is definitely being accessed.

About the Author
I enjoy helping people solve a problem and connect with the right resources. Ask me anything, I may not know the answer but odds are I know someone who does. With Esri since 1997.