Receiving a "Error Opening Feature class the item doesn't have a definition.

Jump to solution
06-08-2020 12:39 PM
Christopher_P_Enright1
New Contributor

I am receiving a "Error Opening Feature class the item doesn't have a definition. Unable to instantiate class for xml schema type: LocationReferencingDatasetMembership" on our APR enable P_Centerline.

What causes this error? Also, I am only receiving it in ArcMAP & not ArcGIS Pro.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

APR uses a 'controller dataset' for linear referencing and the Centerline layer is included once configured with APR. Controller dataset is specifc to ArcGIS Pro and hence you get the error in ArcMap. More info: Feature datasets in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Help | Documentation 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

APR uses a 'controller dataset' for linear referencing and the Centerline layer is included once configured with APR. Controller dataset is specifc to ArcGIS Pro and hence you get the error in ArcMap. More info: Feature datasets in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Help | Documentation 

Christopher_P_Enright1
New Contributor

Thank Ayan. That was what I was suspecting but I couldn't find the documentation to confirm.

0 Kudos
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III

@AyanPalit 

I wanted to see if I could follow-up on this. I am running into the same issue. Created a feature class in ArcGIS PRO, however need to use the same FC in ArcMap. I understand ArcMap/ArcReader is considered "Obsolete" at this time. Is there a work around I can do?

Thank You

0 Kudos
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@ModernElectric If you created a 'simple' feature class in ArcGIS Pro, it can be used in ArcMap just fine. The aforementioned issue comes into play when features participate in an LRS created using the APR extension. Some possible workarounds depending on your use case:

• export the layers as simple features to a file GDB that is used for ArcMap
  • make a copy of the entire geodatabase and remove LRS for use with ArcMap
  • measures created in LRS should be retained when a copy is made

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos