Append Routes geoprocessing tool failing in combined setup for UN & APR on an Enterprise GDB

09-17-2020 04:45 AM
JelmerAkkerman
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm working on deploying and configuring the combination of Utility Network (UN) and Pipeline Referencing (APR). The Utility Network is configured, and I've also taken the required steps to set up an LRS and LRS Network in APR. I used the GP tool 'Configure Utility Network Feature Class' to use the UN pipeline line feature class as the centerline in the Pipeline Referencing setup.

Now, when I try to execute the GP tool 'Append Routes' to load line features as routes into the LRSnetwork, due to the combination of UN and APR, these lines will also be inserted into the UN pipeline line feature class. This works when using a File Geodatabase, but fails when using an Enterprise Geodatabase (backed up by SQL Server) with an error indicating that the field Assettype cannot accept Null values to be inserted (see attached screenshot). Anyone seen this behavior? Am I missing something here that I could check in my setup or should this be considered a bug?

I'm working with ArcGIS Pro 2.6.1 and Enterprise 10.8.1.

Thanks,

Jelmer Akkerman.

ErrorAppendRoutes

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

Jelmer Akkerman‌ The data should be prepared to populate all required fields. In this case, the Asset Type / Asset Group are among the Not Nullable fields in PipelineLine. A relational DB like SQL Server is more stringent in enforcing this rules than file GDB. 

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
JelmerAkkerman
New Contributor II

Hi Ayan,

thanks for your response. The data I'm trying to load has values for all the required fields in both the PipelineLine as the LRSnetwork. I followed instructions as mentioned on this page: Manage Pipeline Referencing and a Utility Network together—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Halfway in there in step 7 (load data) the note says: "The Append Routes tool will load features into the combined centerline/pipeline feature class. It is recommended that you use this tool first to populate this feature class with features that have valid centerline IDs, populate the remaining attributes, then load additional pipes that will not be associated with the LRS".

So I'm understanding that the Append Routes tool will indeed insert features in the pipeline feature class with the purpose to generate the CenterlineID's but no additional attributes are injected. In the Append Routes tool I see there is an option to use the Field Map for attribute fields; but these target fields are on the LRSnetwork. How should I specify that the Append Routes tool should also inject the required attributes (Assettype for instance) into the PipelineLine?

Thanks, Jelmer.

AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

You are running into a limitation of the Append Routes tool to load into the APR-UN integrated geodatabase.

A workaround is as listed below:

1. Use 'Append' to load PipelineLine
  2. Use 'Append' to load LRSnetwork
  3. Author a script to populate the Centerline_Sequence table. The table holds the cardinality / relationship between  PipelineLine : LRSnetwork. Reference: LRS data model—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 
  4. Generate Calibration Points or Append Calibration Points.
  5. Finally, 'Generate Routes' to sync up the LRS components.

You may not get it right in the first attempt. Review the log produced from step 5 and it will indicate what corrective action is needed.  

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
JelmerAkkerman
New Contributor II

That workaround for the AppendRoutes GP tool worked for me. Thanks for your support Ayan!