Meetup: Migrating and administrating parcels with ArcGIS Pro 2.7

02-03-2021 04:57 AM
Labels (1)
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

We forgot to hit the record button, so this is post-production.

Maybe for the best because I messed up some of the demos :-).

Another downside is that Christine could not run the slides and you are stuck with me.

You can follow and perform the same steps seen in the video by downloading the zip file below and opening the project package using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.

Session Description

Learn more about the new parcel fabric information model and its benefits. Learn how to upgrade a parcel fabric for ArcMap as well as how to create a new parcel fabric, extend it and migrate simple features into it in a few easy steps. Administrators can learn how to deploy a parcel fabric for editing using services. The session also discusses evaluating data quality, parcels geoprocessing tools, and the use of tasks for administrative and record driven workflows.

Please leave feedback.

6 Replies
PeterSchoenfield
New Contributor III

Two questions:

1) At about 53:05 in the video Amir talks about getting rid of unneeded fields imported from the ArcMap Parcel Fabric. Can you provide more guidance on what fields are safe to get rid of in BOTH of the various imported polygon and line layers? I noticed that he deleted the Legal Start and Legal End date fields, the Accuracy field and several others that I thought would have still been necessary.

2) The old Lots and Units layer or the Encumbrances layer were both comprised of several different types of features as dictated by one of the fields that Amir probably deleted in the video. Given the flexibility of the new fabric data structure, why doesn't the conversion process split those out into their own feature classes?

Thanks!

TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor

I would like a list of fields that can be safely removed as well.

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@PeterSchoenfield  @TedCronin 

Since we cannot tell which fields were used by different customers, for the most part, we treat the old ArcMap fields the same as we treat fields that were extended by the customer and/or added as part of the Local Government Information model, which is: we bring them over.

No brainer - if you have fields in the ArcMap parcel fabric that you have never populated, I would start with deleting those.

Parcels

These are the new system fields in Pro. They always appear on the top and you cannot delete them:

AmirBarMaor_0-1651131605306.png

Carried over fields:

CarriesOverParcel.jpg

Parcel Lines (and connection lines)

New system fields:

AmirBarMaor_6-1651132617434.png

Carried over fields:

CarriesOverParcelLines.jpg

New system fields

AmirBarMaor_8-1651133397461.png

Old ArcMap Fields - consider deleting the fields that were never used. Some fields such as Category, CenterPoints should be deleted. If you ever maintained the point accuracy using the MaxDN and MaxDE fields you can move translate these to the XYAccuracy new field.

AmirBarMaor_9-1651133444139.png

Records

ArcMap 'Plan' fields

These are the old ArcMap 'Plan' fields, most customers never maintained the surveyor name, company and SurveyDate. If you did you can keep them and continue to do so. COGO accuracy is now maintained on the lines and points that are created by the record (plan).

TruMidBrg (True Mid Bearing) can be deleted and/or moved first to the new 'direction type' field. This is only used by federal agencies that maintain old PLSS or fake modern GNSS measurements to look like old theodolite observations.

AmirBarMaor_10-1651133658229.png

TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor

Thank you.

0 Kudos
PeterSchoenfield
New Contributor III

Thank you Amir, especially for the comments on each field!

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@PeterSchoenfield 

To your second question, there are many information models used against the parcel fabric, beyond the Local Government Information Model (LGIM) used in ArcMap. If we implemented auto-assignment for the  LGIM it will require us to map which fields belong to which parcel type. But... we could never know how to associate your extended fields. So it is easier and safer to delete them after reviewing the results.

I wonder how many customers find it challenging to delete those fields?

0 Kudos