Is there a way to offset labels when label placement straddles the line (bearing/distance)

02-22-2021 06:01 AM
DeanAnderson2
Occasional Contributor II

We manage our dimensions for bearing/distance as annotation.  Labels are a great way preview these features and they are easily converted to annotation using the ConvertLabelsToAnnotation tool.   I have built a simple script in our edit environment to manage this process and it is working great. 

However, when we display bearing/distance an option my cartographers often use is to place bearing on top and distance below.  I am doing this with Label Class - Position (Regular placement / Allow stacked labels / Centered Straight).  My labels are stacked with this Python Code (I assume it would be the similar  with Arcade). 

def FindLabel ( [Direction],[Distance] 😞

beardir = [Direction] + "\n" + [Distance) ]
return beardir

My issue is,  I need to Offset the Direction Above and Distance Below to be farther then the default allows me.  The only ways I found to do this is to create two separate label classes and position one above and one below or to insert a second line feed "\n".  I like the annotation stacked as the tools in ArcPro to edit stacked annotation work very well and the second line feed creates an offset that is too large. 

I am hoping that there is a simple option to offset stacked labels above/below the line and I have missed it. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Are you using the standard or maplex label engine to do the previewing?

0 Kudos
DeanAnderson2
Occasional Contributor II

It appears I am using the Maplex Label Engine (Option selected below)  

DeanAnderson2_0-1614013379213.png

0 Kudos
JesseWickizer
Esri Contributor

Use the Line spacing property of the text symbol to adjust the distance between stacked lines of text. 

JesseWickizer_0-1650560055968.png

0 Kudos