In a traverse, how to change the starting point of a new line (or how to reverse the traverse direction)

09-14-2021 03:00 PM
AndrewWallick
Occasional Contributor

When I'm creating a parcel traverse in ArcGIS Pro, I'd like to be able to create a few lines, then create another line starting at the beginning of the traverse.This usually comes in handy when I have a curve that is only tangent from one direction.

This was possible in ArcMap, you just clicked where you wanted the line to start.

Is this possible in ArcGIS Pro?

12 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@AndrewWallick 

You can select an entered course in the traverse grid and drop it in any position, including the first course as you can see in the animation below.

Would think work?

If we see the actual deed/plat it might help better understand... if I understand correctly you have a tangent curve that is used as the first course... feel free to add the deed/plat in your reply as there might be a more efficient workflow.

Traverse drag a course in the grid.gif

AndrewWallick
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick response @AmirBar-Maor ! I wasn't aware you could drag the lines within a traverse - that might be helpful but I'm not sure it accomplishes what I'm looking for here.

Here's the portion of the plat I'm working on. I'm traversing this parcel, starting with the lines in red. Then I get to #3, and realize the next line is a curve that I don't have a direction for (this happens all the time unfortunately). But I look down and see that the next two curve come off a straight line at a tangent.

So in ArcMap I would just start a new line of the traverse, but click on the starting point of the line back at the beginning, (following the blue arrows now).

AndrewWallick_0-1631720171730.png

In this particular parcel, I could have just gone the other direction from the start. But often, especially on more complicated parcels, it's easy to miss these curves in an initial scan. So then it's either start over, or do more complicated techniques to estimate or derive the tangent direction. In addition, some parcels have had tangent curves from two different directions, which is easiest to traverse if you can reverse the directions like you could in ArcMap.

let me know if any of this is still unclear, I'm happy to clarify more if needed!

TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Hi Andrew,

You could do the following: once you get to end of line 3, click the New button at the bottom right of the traverse dialog to start a new traverse. Set the start point at the start of 1, and set the new closing point to the end point of line 3. You can then do this second traverse to check closure, and go in the direction that gives you the tangency without having to re-enter the first set of lines.

-Tim

AndrewWallick
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the idea! So are you saying that traverses can calculate closure with two separate traverses?

0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Sorta-kinda. (-:  If your second traverse from start of line 1 to end of line 3 has a good misclose, then it means that if you were to do the full loop traverse POB to POB, it would also have good misclose. So in that sense the QA result would be equivalent. If your second traverse has a poor misclose, then the mistake could be in either the first set of lines or in the second set of lines, but you'd have the same problem to solve regardless if you'd done a complete loop traverse.

To get the full loop of lines within the same traverse grid, then the lines do need to proceed in the same direction, and so your idea of reversing the existing traverse, and then completing the loop would be a nice enhancement for solving your use case.

0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Hi again Andrew, please also add your idea of reversing the traverse to the Parcel Fabric Ideas site. There is also a related idea about reversing a bearing within the traverse, but your idea for reversing a traverse would work differently.

Thanks,

-Tim

0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Also related. The Reverse Direction command used with Edit vertices will reverse the geometry as well as the COGO Direction value:

ReverseDirection.gif

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

@AndrewWallick @TimHodson  and everybody else.

I thought it might be useful to create a small video capturing a few tips and tricks as well as Tim's tips.

Should Tracing a traverse be allowed to reverse a course that goes in the wrong direction?