How do I remove Parcel Points after modifying parcels?

09-23-2020 08:34 AM
JamiePetersen
Occasional Contributor II

I have followed the instructions for modifying parcels.  Shrink to Seeds, edit, and build.  This works great.  I am able to clean up bad geometry.  However, after building the polygons, the original parcel points associated with them remain.  To clarify the images, this process was done in both lot and parcel polygons.  See before and after photos.  I assumed they would disappear during the re-build, but that does not seem to be the case.  Any suggestions?

This is the fixed, notice fewer vertices on curves.

Points persist.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jamie,

When building parcels from polygons, vertices become parcel points.

This can cause issues if the polygons have densified curves because you end up with too many lines.

But - there is help on the horizon.

We are working on the new geoprocessing tool that will merge collinear boundaries. It will be released in a few months with Pro 2.7.

For early preview join the What's New session in the Land Records meetup Parcel Fabric Meetup (Redlands, CA) | Meetup  (not scheduled yet).

Amir

0 Kudos
JamiePetersen

Hi Amir,

Thank you for the reply.  In my scenario, first I did Shrink to Seeds.  Then I deleted all the original lines that were present from the original polygons (the densified arc situation).  Next I made all new lines with just the correct amount of vertices.  Finally I did a Build Active.  That is seen in the first screenshot. So when I built active, I was expecting all those points to drop out on the newly built parcels, but they persisted despite the underlying lines that caused them being gone (second screenshot).  The polygons (both lot and parcel polys) are fixed and the lines are too, but the original points remain. 

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

When the original lines were validated against the polygons, vertices were introduced in the polygons. But if you shrunk the parcels to seeds, then created new lines, I would not expect the original vertices to appear. You are welcome to send us a piece of your data so we can have a closer look.

0 Kudos
JamiePetersen

Is it possible that points are being orphaned during the post-processing step of "Delete Identical" via Shape field?  After further testing, there are some points that are going away during this process, but some remain whether I edit or even make historic all the parcel types in that area.  Just a hunch that they might belong to one of the lines that was deleted, but the points for it are still there.  When I merge or build or mark historic, the current line's points are going away, but those from its original duplicate are not.

0 Kudos