Difficulties Reconciling a Version (Branch Versioning)

Jump to solution
06-26-2020 07:21 PM
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We use the arcgis pro parcel fabric (v2) in my department. We publish the fabric as a service which we collectively edit using branch versioning‌. If it's relevant, our data is on an amazon postgresql rds, and our portal is at v 10.8.

Occasionally, I will get the following message when attempting to reconcile and post a version.

I have tried to reconcile my version from the Versioning menu in the ribbon, from the Manage Versions view, and using the Reconcile Versions geoprocessing tool.

From the ribbon, the message The server took too long to answer. The client has timed out. (status code 28) is returned.

In the versions screen and the GP tool, I get the message WARNING 000084: Conflicts detected, aborting the reconcile.

Unfortunately, despite this message about conflicts, the Conflict Manager does not become available to review and address them.

I suspect it has to do with number of edits that have been made in my version. The edits are for a large subdivision, however, and I would like to keep the entirety of it in a single version rather than reconcile and post it in batches. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
16 Replies
GinaBrewer-Mills
New Contributor II

Did you ever find a solution to the issue? I have about a thousand edits that I can not get to reconcile, because it keeps saying the server times out 

0 Kudos
TimJacobsen
New Contributor III

I found that when using the reconcile version gp tool it does not respect the timeout set on the service.  I have to use the VersionManagementServer of the service (start reading, start editing, reconcile, stop editing, stop reading), it respects the timeouts set on the service and does not stop running after 10 minutes like the reconcile versions gp tool.

0 Kudos
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Hi Tim,

I suspect the 10 minute timeout you are seeing is actually a client-side (Pro) timeout. The application also has internal timeouts in regards to how long ArcGIS Pro will wait for a request back from the server. Unfortunately, there is no way to configure the client timeout; therefore, the workaround you've identified is the right approach.

I would like to add a couple of things though:
1) If you are ever concerned about the performance of a reconcile operation, it's best to get in contact with Support to see if there are any improvements we might be able to make to optimize the operation; and,
2) In an upcoming release, the Reconcile Versions geoprocessing tool will actually be executed asynchronously, so there will be a manner in Pro to complete long running reconcile processes.

Thanks!

Justin

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you explain further what you mean by (start reading, start editing...etc)? And how did you run the GP on the VersionManagementServer?

0 Kudos
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael,

I believe Tim is referring to completing the entire Reconcile process directly using the REST Endpoint. In this case, you would be responsible to call startReading, startEditing, Reconcile, stopEditing and stopReading through the REST Endpoint using the appropriate URLs. 

This avoids the time-out issue because what is timing-out in this scenario is the client, ArcGIS Pro - which waits for a response from the server for 10 minutes. The GP tool is not being ran off the server.

Hope this clarifies things.

Justin

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Justin. I didn't realize that you could Reconcile/Post through the VersionManagementService. The below link demonstrates how to do this for anyone who was as lost as I was.

Unfortunately, reconcile/posting through the service didn't solve my issue. I had to install the ArcGISServer 10.8.1 UN Patch 5 Version B.  The patch worked as expected. I believe there was a bug that was causing the server to trip over conflicts.

https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/services-reference/enterprise/version-management-service.htm

0 Kudos
JustinMuise
Esri Contributor

Michael,

Sorry to hear that the original suggestion did not work for you, but I am happy to heard that installing the UN Patch 5 Version B allowed you to have a successful reconcile.

Regards,

Justin

0 Kudos