Select to view content in your preferred language

Desktop Parcel Traverse vs. Pro's Traverse Tool

08-08-2022 11:32 AM
Garet_Madison
New Contributor

Good afternoon,

I recently transitioned to a new position where we use ArcGIS Pro and Parcel Fabric. At my prior employer, I used ArcGIS Desktop and Parcel Fabric. I had a question this morning, and my colleagues were uncertain of the answer so I thought I'd ask here.

In Desktop Parcel Fabric, I could create a new parcel by selecting "New Parcel" from the Parcel Editor Toolbar. This brought up a Parcel Details box with "Properties," "Lines," and "Closure" tabs along with their assorted tools. This box came in handy if I had a questionable call in a deed's legal or if a call and bearing were omitted along one dimension. When this happened, we could go back to point 1 in the grid and work backwards until we had the "gap" bookended by known calls.

This doesn't seem to be an option in the traverse tool, or am I missing a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In the Pro Traverse, you're really just working with a series of lines, and it doesn't necessarily have to be tied to a parcel feature. Once you've entered your Traverse in Pro, you have the option of adding calls into the middle of a Traverse or edit existing calls. There is a Closure tab, too, if you're on a more recent version of Pro.

Can you describe in more detail what you're trying to do? Are you trying to select a parcel and view what the Traverse would be?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Garet_Madison
New Contributor

Hi Josh,

Thank you for this answer, and I think that's what I'm missing. I don't have an illustrated example in front of me, but I've had deeds in the past where an example legal might state:

"Begin at the Northeast corner of said lot 1 thence south 25 feet to the southeast corner of said lot 1 thence west to a point on the the south boundary of lot 1 15 feet east of the southwest corner thence northeasterly to a point 20 feet west of the northeast corner of said lot 1 thence east 20 feet to the point of beginning."

In Desktop, I would click "New parcel," begin at the NE corner as point 1. If I didn't know the cogo, I could simply click on the corners which would create connecting lines from the NE corner to the SE corner for point 2. If I don't have a plat handy to know the exact length of the southern boundary of lot 1, I could click on the SW corner as point 3 for a line and then backtrack east 15ft for point 4.

Because I don't have a dimension for the next segment, I would manually type 1 in the construction box so my next line segment begins at the point of beginning and click on the north boundary, adjusting the length to 20ft for point 5. I would then simply connect points 4 and 5 to bridge the known points.

I hope this makes sense! I'm just now learning how to use Pro's PF, and it's quite different so this might entirely be user error. I thought I had to run the line segments based on the preceding line segment. I tried creating a traverse with a starting point and creating a sample legal up above as an illustration, but inserting a line shifted everything because Arc thought I was changing my POB. I figure something like this gives me a great learning opportunity!

Thanks!

Garet

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

In ArcGIS Pro you do not have to "declare" that you start a new parcel. A typical workflow might look like this:

1. Create a new Active record
  2. Create the boundary lines using the traverse tool, or any other editing tool such that it forms a closed loop
  3. Create a parcel seed
  4. Build Active
  5. Attribute the new parcel

Typically, the new parcel might be used to Clip and retire parent parcel (split metes-and-bounds), or you can set any parent parcel(s) historic using the 'Set Historic' command.

ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor

Heres the help link for creating a new parcel using a parcel traverse (3.0)

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/parcel-editing/createnewparceltraverse.htm

Note the workflow for releases prior to 3.0 is slightly different: The connection lines are part of the traverse. In 3.0 they are added as separate traverses.