Clipping a donut style parcel within a larger parcel fails

04-10-2023 12:53 PM
Labels (1)
JasonBessert
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm investigating on behalf of a colleague who is struggling to take a new parcel polygon that is completely inscribed within a larger polygon and clip to create child parcels.  In the below screenshot, the small, rectangular parcel is a new parcel, designated as the input feature, whereas the larger parcel is the target feature to succomb to the clip and result in a parcel with a 'donut' hole in it to clear the way for the rectangular parcel.

JasonBessert_0-1681156924048.png

Is there possibly a limitation to the parcel editing clip in records-based transactions?  Because the current workaround is to deactivate the record, this is the only way to have the clip run through, but the concern is obviously the transaction will not output a historic parcel.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanielStone
Esri Contributor

Hi Jason, 

I was able to successfully clip a donut hole out of a larger parcel.  

1. I created a record
  2. Added a "Connection Line" from the corner of the outer boundary to the corner of the new parcel. 
  3. Selected clip

Took remainder and was successful

I was using 3.1.1 to perform this edit.  

DanielStone_0-1681163309746.png

JasonBessert
New Contributor III

Hi Dan, as a follow up to me debugging this from yesterday, I have the following.

I can successfully clip out the smaller parcel into the larger one in this example, that is a real world one for a client of ours, BUT ONLY in an excerpt database, a paired down version that I was preparing for sharing for repro purposes by using the COPY parcels GP tool to transfer the subject parcel and the general area to a new database.  In that fresh, paired-down database, I can take any inscribed parcel and clip/remainder successfully

JasonBessert_1-1681221748975.png

JasonBessert_0-1681219775940.png

But in the live-edited, solidfied database that is nestled on the client's server being edited with branch versioning (AND a file GDB local copy we have for testing) the clip failed on this same feature.  We're just trying to figure out what is wrong with the 'mother' database that is getting in the way of full functionality.  Again, the clip works in that database, but just not in these cases where the input feature is completely within the parcel.  Let me know if this may require a support case.

0 Kudos
JasonBessert
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan,

Not sure why it's not working on our end.  I'm using 3.0 and the screenshot I shared earlier was my own independent attempt do run a clip with a remainder, which was unsuccessful.

A colleague of ours is attempting this using a polyline that represents a building footprint that was copied to parcel fabric COGO lines to build a new polygon (no connection line utilized).  This is their typical workflow in beginning to pave the way for condominium parcels.  They are probably using 2.9 still, as they are a large organization who hasn't collectively decided it is comfortable.

I could have sworn I was able to create a donut hole within an active record in the past, but just not today.  Not really sure what is preventing this. You don't suppose it's the dated version, do you?

JasonBessert_0-1681165349325.png

0 Kudos